Softball vs. Baseball swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My thought is that the swing is the same, but our head coach is saying that it isn't for the reasons that I explained earlier. I will see our hitting coach on Saturday that has won several state titles over a 15 year period and ask him. Interested in hearing his take on this issue.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just look at the videos on the model swings thread. Listen to interviews with top fastpitch hitters like Bustos and Mendoza. Decide for yourself. You will see that it is the same swing, but don't take my word or any hitting coaches word for it.

Dd went to a local clinic with an ex mlb player. That is where I learned that someones credentials dosen't make them a good hitting coach. The things he was teaching them was not what the best hitters are doing.
Once again I believe before you listen to or spend big money on a hitting coach, watch some slow mo of the best hitters.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I coached my daughter right along with my high school baseball team. Used the same concepts. Then, started doing baseball and softball clinics on Sunday afternoons. Some 10 of these girls came every weekend for 6 or 7 years. They were members of my dd's travel team. Of those girls that learn the exact same swing, several of them, including my dd were first team all state. A couple of others were second team. Unbelievable when you consider that this was a team thrown together and not a high profile team at the beginning. Efficeint swing mechanics are the same regardless of whether you are talking softball or baseball.

Mar 22, 2012
I've heard so many people say that a softball player can't swing like a baseball player because of the pitching difference. Answer me this, does the ball not come in on the same plane when it finally crosses the plate? I use a baseball swing; I used the "softball swing" for years... the whole, push through the ball, weight on your front leg ordeal. NEVER made sense to me. I could not grasp it, nor could I hit consistently or for power. However, with a "baseball swing", if you will, I have much more bat control, a stronger base for my weight, which stays on my back leg, I see pitches better, and I hit them with power. Baseball is so far ahead of softball's time; baseball has been around forever so of course they have figured out the best ways to get things done. Not to say that the "softball swing" doesn't work, BUT THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've heard so many people say that a softball player can't swing like a baseball player because of the pitching difference. Answer me this, does the ball not come in on the same plane when it finally crosses the plate? I use a baseball swing; I used the "softball swing" for years... the whole, push through the ball, weight on your front leg ordeal. NEVER made sense to me. I could not grasp it, nor could I hit consistently or for power. However, with a "baseball swing", if you will, I have much more bat control, a stronger base for my weight, which stays on my back leg, I see pitches better, and I hit them with power. Baseball is so far ahead of softball's time; baseball has been around forever so of course they have figured out the best ways to get things done. Not to say that the "softball swing" doesn't work, BUT THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

Welcome to the future and happy reading. I think you will enjoy your stay here.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Bold above ... is that what you see here?

21nmuz9.jpg

Mar 22, 2012
There are many things to consider here. First, where is the pitch? It looks a little low and outside if you guess from his body position, but it's also blurry so to be able to say where it is exactly isn't possible. Here's a suggestion... go to YouTube and type in the search bar, "Albert Pujols vs. Mark McGwire". There is about a 3:30 minute video with them discussing hitting. Makes a lot of sense... But, to answer your question, I guarantee you when Pujols is in his stance, his weight is 70% on his back leg, 30% on the front. When he finishes his swing, he still has more weight on his back leg. In this particular frame of his swing, his lower half actually looks good. His heel is directly above his toes on his back foot; his front leg is straight, but still maintaining a little flexion in the knee. So, his power is shooting from the back leg to the front leg, meaning his front leg is going to be strong and resist going forward and pushing through the ball. When he finishes his swing, a majority of his weight is going to be on his back leg.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Welcome to the future and happy reading. McFly softball & baseball swings are the same and should be taught the same.My back to the future reference.

Jul 26, 2010
There are many things to consider here. First, where is the pitch? It looks a little low and outside if you guess from his body position, but it's also blurry so to be able to say where it is exactly isn't possible. Here's a suggestion... go to YouTube and type in the search bar, "Albert Pujols vs. Mark McGwire". There is about a 3:30 minute video with them discussing hitting. Makes a lot of sense... But, to answer your question, I guarantee you when Pujols is in his stance, his weight is 70% on his back leg, 30% on the front. When he finishes his swing, he still has more weight on his back leg. In this particular frame of his swing, his lower half actually looks good. His heel is directly above his toes on his back foot; his front leg is straight, but still maintaining a little flexion in the knee. So, his power is shooting from the back leg to the front leg, meaning his front leg is going to be strong and resist going forward and pushing through the ball. When he finishes his swing, a majority of his weight is going to be on his back leg.

Never mention stance when speaking of hitting, the two have nothing to do with each other.

-W

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

It was a simple question. In the photo Pujols' rear foot is off of the ground. Does that support your assertion that the weight always remains back?

With Pujols' rear foot off of the ground, where is his center of pressure felt ... the front foot or rear foot? The answer is not his rear foot, as it is off of the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877