Softball revenge stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
I have two revenge type stories. My oldest DD, since 4th grade, was competing with the coaches DD for starting pitcher. In 4th grade my DD surpassed her as a pitcher. However, this coach became the "A" coach of the local organization and, guess what, my DD was relegated to the "B" team for many years thru 12U, 14U, and first year 16U. "Amazingly" the high school team pitched my DD and not the "A" coaches DD. Anyway, last year at tryouts my DD was the best pitcher and he, finally, had to take her onto the "A" team!

My youngest DD was the ace pitcher for a 10U A team that was one of the best in the state. Unfortunately, she was hit hard in the face by a line drive when she didn't have her mask on. She struggled terribly with her fears and ended up quitting pitching before state and nationals, leaving the team in a situation without a ace. She quit pitching for a while but the next year in a tournament in a desperate situation she was asked to pitch. She came in and kicked butt winning player of the game honors. At tryouts this "A" team coach never took her even though she was clearly the best pitcher. Whenever this coach is watching her play she seems to play better with the bat or while on the mound. The kicker was last summer where, in the same nationals, she pitched her "B" team to five victories which was much better than the "A" team did. And in spite of being the best pitcher again at the last tryouts this coach still didn't take her. In fact, one of the "better" pitchers quit the team and instead of bringing my DD up he brought up, clearly, a much inferior pitcher to take her place. Oh well, they'll be some more fun coming his way this year!!! (The moral: Stupid and Stubborn are well punished in this world)

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
My DD had been on a team for several years when the coach's husband (the coach couldn't do her own dirty work) called us and told us that they were letting my DD go because she was as good as she was going to get. Fast forward to that next fall season, she's playing and SMACKS a hard drive to the RF fence. Who is standing on the other side watching? Yep, her old team. That was an "In your face!" moment for me. She now plays on a 16A showcase team. The best revenge is success.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The best kind of revenge is the revenge you might get when you've run into, and been harmed by, one of these...Especially if your DD or one of your pitching or hitting students have been harmed by one of these...

wolf_in_sheeps_clothing.jpg

Last edited:
My 12U A team was playing up to 14U A at a tourney. We struggled a bit in pool play and dropped two games, one rather badly. It was just a tough day for us, not at all indicative of the type of team we are, but it happens.

In single elimination the next day, we draw the #2 seed, who had won all their pool games and are a top team in the area. They are actually our rival org but of course there is no rivalry between a 12U team and a 14U team. As our girls were warming up (we drew home team) before the first inning, the coach of the other team brought his pitcher out of the dugout and was giving her last-minute strategies for beating our team. The last thing he said to her, and he said it loudly enough to make sure the girl on our team nearest them could hear it was, "No worries, kid. I watched them play yesterday and they are HORRIBLE!" The girl standing near enough to hear shot them a look and they both laughed at her. It was my DD.

DD comes into the dugout after the first half of the inning (they didn't score) and promptly tells her entire team what she overheard, and it really pisses a few of them off. It pissed me off, too, because the other team was throwing their #1 pitcher, not exactly the strategy I'd employ if I were playing a "horrible" team on a day when I expected three games for the championship. Anyhow, they get our leadoff hitter out on a nice play by the 3B, then one of our slappers beats out a drag bunt and steals second on the next pitch. Our three-hole hitter does her job and moves her to third with a ground ball to 2B, bringing up DD, who is still fuming. The pitcher smirks at her and throws two big heaters in a row on the outside corner, which DD takes MASSIVE swings at and misses. She then calms down a bit and lays off a high tight fastball and a low and away drop ball for a 2-2 count. The pitcher then goes back to the corner with a fastball which DD launches over the right field fence for a 2-run HR. DD glares at the pitcher as she trots around the bases.

We end up winning 3-1. We went on to win our next game, 6-1 and eventually took second place in the tourney, losing 5-3 in the final to a team already qualified for 14U Nationals. The coach and the pitcher who had laughed at us went home after our game.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Not so much a revenge story, but when my dd was 9 yrs old the head coach of her team was talking to us parents about finding a catcher for the team. After the pow wow broke I went over to him and politely stated that I had been working with my dd on catching (I caught for 12 years) and that he might want to give her a look. He half-laughed, reminded me that my dd threw left handed, and stating that she didn't have "IT" anyway. I half-laughed, looked at him like he was three kinds of stupid for saying something like that about my own kid to me, shook my head and walked away. Me, along with his two assistant coaches had a good laugh about it. His dd quit about 3 days later so he stepped down, the asst. coaches took over, my dd became the starting catcher, and the team ended up the 10u SW Ohio champs. The next year the entire team went select. Since then my dd was the starting catcher for the MS (every year) and HS (every year so far), conference and regional accolades every year, has played travel since 10u where she has been the #1 catcher every year, and has signed her NLI to play at the D1 level in college. I see that guy occasionally in a neighborhood grocery store and he avoids me like the plague. I just grin and continue on about my business. So, when an idiot says something stupid about your kid, remain quiet and let your kid prove the idiots wrong.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
No revenge stories, but my DD plans to own the inside corner of the plate this season, and just in case any batters decide to charge the circle, she has been working hard during the off season!

[video=youtube_share;ixqyLDZoiHU]http://youtu.be/ixqyLDZoiHU[/video]

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
This one wasn't in softball, but happened while I was coaching my son in baseball. My DD is too young
(9U) to have revenge stories. After coaching baseball for over 10 years this one game sticks in my memory.

Anyway, to make a long story short, our team took the lead late in the game, off a single to right center. There was a play at the plate for the go-ahead run. The play was close and our runner did not slide home. There was no collision although the rule is the runner needs to slide if the play is close, to avoid injury. So, the kids are cheering and basically having a grand old time. Our next batter grounded out and we took the field for the bottom of the last inning.

So after 3 or 4 pitches into a live batter, I notice the opposing coach is not happy and still jawing over the go-ahead run play from the previous inning! Shortly, he was out in the field of play, protesting in a most unsportsmanlike way. This coach was still running his mouth and was now a major distraction, stopping play altogether. I don't know why it took him so long to protest from the time of the original call, perhaps he is slow. I stayed in the dugout and let the Umpire handle this guy. After a couple minutes the umpire comes over and relays that players must slide on a "close" play else the runner is out and I should consider this my warning. Ok, fine, now can we get the nimrod of a coach off the field? I digress.

The bottom of the inning continues as the coach is finally corralled into the dugout and the opposing team ends up with the tying runner at third base, two outs. The batter line drives a ball over the second basemen's head. Our right fielder plays the ball and tries to throw home to get the tying run. The ball sails over the catchers glove (I believe he tipped it) and into the backstop as the tying run crosses home plate. Of course, the other team is now jumping for joy what seemed twice as loud as we did. I look up to see the Umpire call the runner out! The runner crossed the plate standing up and never slid @ home.

Game over.

We were gathering up our stuff up as the opposing team was still cheering. As we were leaving, the opposing team realized what call was made and they couldn't believe it. You could have heard a pin drop! Needless to say, I could not get out of there fast enough...with the win!

Moral of the story. Some times it pays to keep one's mouth shut.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Oh revenge!! The most fun I've ever had was our 2nd year 14u. Knowing we were mostly going to disband for college feeder teams after that summer run ( after school ball June through early August ) we decided to put a team together of mercenaries. We recruited all winter some girls who had been mistreated and mismanaged by some other teams. For the purpose of having some fun and allowing them the "chance" to get some pay back. We tried to hunt down every team, every coach, that the girls wanted a piece of.

Well it worked out better than we had ever hoped for. Those girls were HUNGRY. For the few tournaments we got to enter, they out scored their opponents 256 to 96. It was one of those magical events that even to this day, still makes me think, "how the heck did we do that"? lol

High school was also a revenge type setting. Small little no name school, never been further than first game of regional playoffs, where every other school in the district had made multiple appearances at state. From a small town of 5500, those girls clawed their way to 3 consecutive state rides ( 10th-11th-12th years ), set numerous school records, won multi-state high school tournaments, and were ranked #1 in the larger metro area ( 1,000,000 people ) Dandy Dozen their senior year. Lots of "haters" said that group would never do it, they showed them otherwise.

I'm bored at work so I made a video of the few pics I have on my iPad. Sorry for the quality, had to make it fast before my boss sobers up. To hear the Led Zepplin background music, you'll need to watch it from a laptop. Music not available via portable device.

[video=youtube_share;zPrcBbz0ipE]http://youtu.be/zPrcBbz0ipE[/video]

Nov 18, 2013
This isn't revenge, but it did make me smile. Our HS team is playing in a winter dome league. Most of our upper classmen chose not to participate so we have a very young team. It’s a no contact period so the other schools are coached by parents. Our girls decided to have the captains coach. There is one club team in the league and that just happens to be DD’s former program.

The first time we faced them was surreal. It was DD’s first time coaching and she’s up against not only her former program, but her first club coach. This is the guy that took a chance on her and made everything else possible. The games themselves were basically scrimmages that didn’t mean a thing. Even so it was special seeing our young team going toe to toe with one of DD’s favorite coaches and one of the best club programs in the Midwest.

Mar 26, 2013
There was this dude on a fastpitch softball forum who was all up in my grill all the time about California being the be all, end all regarding fastpitch and he called me names and made fun of my state and was relentless in his personal attacks and then last summer we played in a tournament in Colorado and lo and behold our first opponent was against a team from california the same state where this dude is from, the one who kept boasting about California softball and so i thought to myself "oh no these California teams are too good for us" and I only hoped that we would be competitive and like not suck too badly against this team from California because again I knew from this dude that california teams were super cool and talented and stuff and then wouldn't you know that we went out and beat this team from california by like 12 runs and stuff and I thought to myself "take that you softball forum bully from california" and i remembered that old expression about revenge being a dish best served cold and of course it's pretty darn cold in minnesota youbetcha.
You bringing this up AGAIN (Colorado brag thread)?! lol Like I replied then, that was supposedly a team from a respected NorCal org you beat, however I'm still surprised a SJ Sting team did so poorly overall. Maybe they sold their berth to the 14U team...

You need to understand we're in SoCal and we reserve the right to pick and choose which NorCal teams represent our great state, so we disavow the team you beat and only recognize the Lady Magic team that won the championship. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA