Softball Cheering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Where the heck do these girls learn all these cheers? DD has a hard time remembering her times table but has about 20+ different cheers remembered. It also amazes me how quickly they form cheers on their own. This past weekend during warm-ups for the first game of the tournament, the girls came up with nick names for one another. By the second inning they had individual cheeres for each girls nickname. Really catchy ones too, its sad but after 3days of tournament play and the constant cheering I found my self singing them in my head several times at work. I know its pathetic but fortunately that's my life now.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Seriously...... we have to remind them about chores and daily responsibilities repeatedly but they remember a cheer they heard once. Go figure. I'm going to start a cheer.... clean your room, clean your bathroom, do your homework...go kid go!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Where the heck do these girls learn all these cheers? DD has a hard time remembering her times table but has about 20+ different cheers remembered. It also amazes me how quickly they form cheers on their own. This past weekend during warm-ups for the first game of the tournament, the girls came up with nick names for one another. By the second inning they had individual cheeres for each girls nickname. Really catchy ones too, its sad but after 3days of tournament play and the constant cheering I found my self singing them in my head several times at work. I know its pathetic but fortunately that's my life now.

You are not alone.

Jun 11, 2013
I think it's the same reason that you can hear hear 5 seconds of a song you haven't heard in 20 years on the way to the store and then can't remember the 2 things you went to the store for in the first place.

I have no problem with teams that do cheers, but very glad the team we are on don't do them.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
From what I've seen, looks like the older girls slowly stop cheering and the games become more quieter. I figure I might as well soak it all in right now cause it's not going to last forever. DD's team right now is crazy loud and the girls are having so much fun doing it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
From what I've seen, looks like the older girls slowly stop cheering and the games become more quieter. I figure I might as well soak it all in right now cause it's not going to last forever. DD's team right now is crazy loud and the girls are having so much fun doing it.

I don't know about that. My 15yo DD's HS games include a constant stream of loud cheering from the dugout, but it's less sing-songy stuff than we hear in 10U.

Jun 24, 2013
It is because music uses different pathways in the brain than rote memory does. By pairing them together you are using more of your brain. When you add emotion (fun) in to it, it adds another element. Weird fact about Alzhiemers patients, is that they can often play musical instruments well even after they have forgotten other things you would think would be more important.

How about these for getting them to do their chores:

(While pointing at her dirty room) I see a trash bag and Daddy's going cleaning!
She told on you! She told on you! Now go apologize before I spank you!

Oct 10, 2010
I won't allow signing cheers on my bench. I ended that at 10/U...couldn't take it anymore. Now at 12/U they are just cheering each other on by name. Parents love me for it! I see some teams kids screaming with red faces and I just smile and watch their energy just disappear. Those cheers are nothing but a waste of energy when it is 95 degrees out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug