So I am the unbiased parent during the game when Blue makes a good call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I find I do this all the time. I can't help myself.

• Close play, pitch call, tag, etc or "not the run of the mill" rule call which Blue gets correct or makes a good call on.
  • Several of our parents are about to do the standard "going nuts" thing
  • I say out loud something along the lines of "Damn, close one but he got that right."
  • "Nuts" parents turn to me like I have taken their candy away from them.

I am waiting for the parents to start looking at me for permission to go nuts when we do get an actual bad call. That is when I will officially declare them 'trained'.

I do this as a coach as well but that of course didn't stop the parents - but the players take from your lead and have the same attitude as did my AC's which is great. Lot's of "Great play - unlucky" versus "Bad calls".

For me I think it came from when I was young playing basketball internationally where rules required you to acknowledge a foul call against you by raising your hand whether you agreed with it or not (and my coaches insistence on this being the 'right way to behave')

Since I am not coaching my DD travel team for summer, this is very entertaining for me.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Good!

I also try to do this sort of thing when Blue makes a "bad" call. I'll make a comment like "Blue saw it that way, so it is official".

The fact of the matter is that Blue is out there doing the best that he/she can do. They make bad calls, they make good calls too. I sure wouldn't want to do the job that they do.

Do I get mad at Blue? Yes. Do I ever yell at Blue? Yes, but I try really hard not to.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Last week I saw a base ump blow both ends of a double play. He was focused on the play at second and the girl was out by a step, but somehow he called safe, then I think he forgot about the batter/runner going to first. She slows down and the throw from SS had her out by at least a step. He didn't see it, so he called her safe.

You should have heard the noise coming from the stands, "are you kidding me" " Did he just call them both safe?' "is he blind..."

And those were the parents on the offensive team. I think the defensive parents were in shock.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I can't stand the backstop crazies. When I am fortunate enough to watch
dd play 16U, I park myself on the OF side of the dugout. From here
I don't have to listen to the nutty parents and I can mumble comments
to myself. Only problem is, I attract other dads who used to coach who now
act the same way. Now, we are seen as the 'outsiders' which is fine with me.

Jul 6, 2011
One of the funniest ones I saw was at a varsity football game. We were losing, and of course (as is the case with every loss) the terrible officiating was completely to blame. At one point there was a fairly obvious penalty against the other team (can’t remember if it was a late hit, holding, or what, but it happened right in front of our sideline) and the ref threw the flag. One of the ladies in front of me completely lost it and started screaming at the top of her lungs at the ref. It took her several seconds to realize she was the only one screaming, and several more to realize the call was against the other team. She went through so many powerful emotions so quickly…rage, confusion, then embarrassment…I almost felt sorry for her (almost). Sometimes it seems that the ones who understand the least about the game are the most vocal…

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I have been blessed with a great set of parents on my DGDs new 14u team. They really don't know the rules and/or have been trained well just to keep their mouths shut.:) If there is a questionable call by blue, there are comments made, but they are made to each other and not loud enough for the umps to hear them. And they cheer for ALL the girls, not only their daughters, but other team members as well. I don't know how many times I heard several parents shout out to an opposing player about a good play they made. Don't get me wrong, they are competitive and want to win every game and tournament, but they also want to do it right and respect the game.

I think a lot of this filters down from the coach. He really loves the game and wants all his girls to succeed, win or lose. He congratulates them when they get a hit or makes a play, but never criticizes them when they don't, usually instructs them on what they did wrong or could do better, in private. He does not throw tantrums when he thinks blue may have gotten a call wrong. He may call blue aside out of hearing distance to "discuss" the call or get a rules interpretation. And he is always respectful of the other team's players and coaches. He also sends out a "newsletter" after each tournament, win or lose, praising the girls, thanking the parents for their support, and what they will be working on in the next several practices. Oh, did I mention that he has a daughter on the team? It was three weeks before I found out, but he treats her just like any of the other girls.

Going to be a good season.

I have been blessed with a great set of parents on my DGDs new 14u team. They really don't know the rules and/or have been trained well just to keep their mouths shut.:) If there is a questionable call by blue, there are comments made, but they are made to each other and not loud enough for the umps to hear them. And they cheer for ALL the girls, not only their daughters, but other team members as well. I don't know how many times I heard several parents shout out to an opposing player about a good play they made. Don't get me wrong, they are competitive and want to win every game and tournament, but they also want to do it right and respect the game.

I think a lot of this filters down from the coach. He really loves the game and wants all his girls to succeed, win or lose. He congratulates them when they get a hit or makes a play, but never criticizes them when they don't, usually instructs them on what they did wrong or could do better, in private. He does not throw tantrums when he thinks blue may have gotten a call wrong. He may call blue aside out of hearing distance to "discuss" the call or get a rules interpretation. And he is always respectful of the other team's players and coaches. He also sends out a "newsletter" after each tournament, win or lose, praising the girls, thanking the parents for their support, and what they will be working on in the next several practices. Oh, did I mention that he has a daughter on the team? It was three weeks before I found out, but he treats her just like any of the other girls.

Going to be a good season.

I always tell an opposing girls when they make a great play. I appreciate good softball even when it goes against my kid's team. Mine plays 14U as well and I am not about to wreck another girl who made a great play just because of her uniform. My kid's coach has let two girls go this summer for parents being nutty at games and complaining about playing time to the coach in front of the other girls. We all want our kids' team to win, but there is no point in being classless about it. I always feel bad for the kids whose parents cannot control themselves.

May 7, 2012
NC
The only one who hears me complain about anything is my wife. Now she wont sit with me at the games anymore.... Mixed blessings!:D

May 6, 2012
Texas
I dont fit this way I have been given the permission by the team, coaches, and parents to be the classy "bad" call notifier. I let them a bad call if it a major one the minor ones I just keep to my area. But i know when to stop once the ump gives me that lokk I stare at him but dont speak. Even after the game Ill tell them good game or talk to them between innings if they are close to me. The main reason I have been given the permission is because I say what the coach wants to say so it helps him keep his stress down and stay focused. I have been on the other side during Little Leauge I spent a lot of time as a field ump and dealt with coaches, players, and angry parents. It didnt change my way of telling them "bad" call cause if I could handle it they could to and to top it off I did it for free while they get paid to ignore me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55