So damn frustrated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Shes not swinging at bad pitches, just bad swings at good pitches. You guys starting to feel my frustration?

From what you describe, IMO its late pitch recognition - she's waiting to commit to swinging until she sees each pitch and decides whether its a good pitch or not, which doesn't leave her enough time to execute the swing successfully. If that is the case, she can be successful simply by changing her mindset and assuming that every pitch is going to be a good pitch that she will swing at. Doing that will allow her to start her swing early enough and limit any decision making to stop or check the swing if she see's that its a bad pitch, as there is enough time to abort the swing upon recognition. This is what most good hitters do!

You want your hitters thinking YES, YES..YES or NO at pre-pitch, pitch release, and pitch recognition time points, respectively, versus NOT SURE, NOT SURE, YES or NO.

PS Do you know that her eyesight doesn't require correction?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Making a struggling hitter bunt all the time creates more negativity and singling out (even her parents will talk to her about it). Does she sense your frustration? If you even think it, they hear it and see it in you. So it can't be about your frustration.

You need to let her go have fun hitting, off a real pitcher, or off a machine. Tee work, side toss, none of that is real. If you are using a tee, leave room for the kid to see results, and make it a contest. Try and hit up the middle liners for points, step into and hit oppo; then later, we do homers in the woods.

In games then you give her a plan for every at bat, same as the other kids. Hit behind the runner. Hit up the middle. Hit the low pitch. Whatever it is for the type of pitcher, situation. Then she executes and does not worry about form.

Well said.

Thank you for the positive contribution!

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
From what you describe, IMO its late pitch recognition - she's waiting to commit to swinging until she sees each pitch and decides whether its a good pitch or not, which doesn't leave her enough time to execute the swing successfully. If that is the case, she can be successful simply by changing her mindset and assuming that every pitch is going to be a good pitch that she will swing at. Doing that will allow her to start her swing early enough and limit any decision making to stop or check the swing if she see's that its a bad pitch, as there is enough time to abort the swing upon recognition. This is what most good hitters do!

You want your hitters thinking YES, YES..YES or NO at pre-pitch, pitch release, and pitch recognition time points, respectively, versus NOT SURE, NOT SURE, YES or NO.

I would completely agree with this...

One suggestion would be to take a peek at the model swings thread...and look for clips where you can see the pitcher and batter and have her watch how the batter's move in relation to the pitcher...

clips like this:

66c68i.jpg

or this
amwpaa.gif

or this
2589ycn.gif

Well...you get the idea...if you tie that into GM's mental cue of "YES, YES..YES or NO at pre-pitch, pitch release, and pitch recognition time points" I think this would help...

Being patient is key...CP

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013

I like the thinking on this one. Its an area I didnt even consider. Could you expand on the YesYesNo? Thank you.I have inquired about her eyes. She wears contacts.

Jun 26, 2013
I said have fun, and you can have fun hitting off a pitching machine. It also tunes your eyes, if the vision is correct, to the speed, so you can work on decision making. Front toss is not heavy enough as we say.

So if it is her last season why harp on all of it anyway? She is at an age where she has to figure it out on her own.
I can appreciate this but Im as responsible as she is for her game, and I adore the kid.

Jun 26, 2013
I would completely agree with this...

One suggestion would be to take a peek at the model swings thread...and look for clips where you can see the pitcher and batter and have her watch how the batter's move in relation to the pitcher...

clips like this:

66c68i.jpg

or this
amwpaa.gif

or this
2589ycn.gif

Well...you get the idea...if you tie that into GM's mental cue of "YES, YES..YES or NO at pre-pitch, pitch release, and pitch recognition time points" I think this would help...

Being patient is key...CP
Are there clips where the yes yes yes no are displayed?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I like the thinking on this one. Its an area I didnt even consider. Could you expand on the YesYesNo? Thank you.I have inquired about her eyes. She wears contacts.

I'm not GM but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few weeks ago...

Her mentality should be:

Pre-Pitch: YES I'm going to swing
<It is in THIS space she is starting some part of her swing see gif below>
Pitch Release: YES I'm going to swing
Pitch Recognition: YES I'm going to swing because it's a good pitch - no I'm NOT going to swing because it's a ball or it's a pitch

2pz9r36.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30