So an ump says to me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One of the things our umpires seem to do is have the same strike zone for all the batters regardless of their size. So a high pitch to our 6’ batter is called a ball and the same pitch location over DD’s head is called a strike. Same with low balls but DD has the advantage there. :)

Dec 27, 2014
When the disparity is great, which level is appropriate? A rec pitcher struggling to throw to an A-level zone or an ace taking advantage of a rec zone? Someone's going to be unhappy regardless, but that's life. IMO, unless its discussed and agreed upon prior to a friendly or scrimmage, an umpire's job is not to handicap a game to make it more fair, .

I believe I have seen all the pitchers now in our 10u rec league. Six teams field three pitchers that can throw in the 30's and DD in the 40's. This leaves much of the teams fielding absolute beginning pitchers throwing horse shoes or girls with a year of experience obviously trying to flic the ball at release and go HE finish. All sub 30 and very inconsistent. Some umps call the same strike zone and some favor the weaker pitcher. Our team, their team, some ups give them a wider strike zone. DD throws in the mid 40's and is hard for the batters to see the ball since they are used to seeing 25 mph stuff. Last week she struck out nine in three innings and all were looking. Most batters just don't swing and she is really at the discretion of the ump. Last weekend we played an extremely weak pitching team. One literally threw the ball high like slow pitch to make sure she could get it there. :rolleyes:

Drove our coaches nuts when the ump would call the strike at the chin when the catcher has to stand up to catch it, but we would not get that call until we put a beginning pitcher in. Since few batters swing for DD she has to get the call. Our batters are coming out of their shoes going for the 25mph stuff but not as many swing for the faster stuff. LOL.