Slo-mo of my kid pitching. Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Java does let the backside get into the pitch mean rotate the hips at release like Pauley teaches?

It means a lot of things...

Push from the plate, not pitch from it.
Use the large moving muscles into release (like the glutes).
Have all four corners of the body (think davinci) working together... so that there's no disconnection of the torso (hips and shoulders).
Bring linear energy into a resisted front-side.
Train proper timing of the pitch.

This said, it doesn't mean...

Slam the door closed.

JJ, you win the Daily Double. ;)

Jun 18, 2010
g1_zpsi31mlt2x.gif

g1_slow_zpsa3iz5mmk.gif

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
It means a lot of things...

Push from the plate, not pitch from it.
Use the large moving muscles into release (like the glutes).
Have all four corners of the body (think davinci) working together... so that there's no disconnection of the torso (hips and shoulders).
Bring linear energy into a resisted front-side.
Train proper timing of the pitch.

This said, it doesn't mean...

Slam the door closed.

JJ, you win the Daily Double. ;)

How are we doing all of this? Did you view the Pauley drill

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Not sure I understand your question, BG...

Prior to his latest gig at Georgia, Rick and I maintained quite a bit of dialogue. I'm familiar with all of his videos.

Last edited:
May 8, 2015
May 24, 2015
GA
She does look like she is on her way to becoming a good pitcher. Trust me, I saw a lot of bad mechanics in 10U this year, and she has a lot of potential. Last week, I posted a video of my daughter and got a lot of feedback similar to the ones you received. You may want to review my thread because I think it has some tips that apply to your DD too. Good Luck. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/24211-9u-dd-pitching-video-beginning-our-journey.html

Thanks! I'll go check it out.

May 24, 2015
GA
LHF,

When reading through the stickies, here are a couple of things to note:

• Your daughter is missing the whip, releasing the ball off her front leg, as opposed to the rear leg. Our upper arm should come into the side of our body... and at that point, the forearm should whip passed it. Your DD is allowing the upper arm to continue in front of the body... and then throwing.
  • As a sidenote, take a look at what the lower part of the chain can do for your daughter if she allows her forearm to pronate.
  • Your daughter is pinning her rear leg behind her... let her backside come into the pitch. This results in a posture issue... and adds to the late release.
  • Your daughter is pitching around her upper body, as opposed to across. Adduction.
  • Your daughter's timing is different in every pitch. Look at creating consistent overlap.
  • Your daughter is rolling her drive foot (right) as opposed to striking the front of the pitching rubber.
  • Your daughter has a very evident tell when she throws the horseshoe change in that last pitçh. Let me know if you can figure it out... perhaps the good people of this board can even try to figure this out... we'll make it round 2 of A Telltale Game. ;)

Granted, she's very young... so don't go too nutty... but I just thought these would make for a good TODO list as she works on her craft.

OK, nobody else is saying so what's the tell??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild