Skipping Tryouts This Year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
At this age group, coaches know who should be showing up to their tryouts, and these players have already been vetted. Best thing to do, is to reach out to the teams they are interested in, and schedule a private workout. Most especially pitchers. Do NOT wait until tryouts. The coach will indicate whether or not she will be a good fit for the team. If not, no need to waste your time at tryouts for that team.
Yes. @marriard pretty much made that point already.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Not sure if this is normal but the true D1 older kids in FL only go to Showcases that D1 coaches can recruit. I don’t remember the dates they can be out but only like 5 tournaments. My DD isn’t a D1 kid so the importance of going to those aren’t a big deal. I think a lot of parents have false hopes. We go to Showcases to see competition but not for scholarships. My DD opportunities will be closer to home with JUCO’s and could possibly go D2 but nothing to stress about.

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for the responses. As I shared in a DM there are so many travel teams and so little real professional coaching in the organizations. There are so many clubs in the area going through a constant reorganization, new coaches, new teams and we'd probably be ahead of the curve if she focused on her schedule and improving her game then see where the chips fall once HS season is over.

Dec 15, 2021
Thanks for the responses. As I shared in a DM there are so many travel teams and so little real professional coaching in the organizations. There are so many clubs in the area going through a constant reorganization, new coaches, new teams and we'd probably be ahead of the curve if she focused on her schedule and improving her game then see where the chips fall once HS season is over.
Make sure you are at least getting quality training while spending this money. As you mentioned there are so little "real professional coaching" in these organizations, the same can be said about of lot of these instructors charging money for poorly organized training and skill development.

Mar 9, 2018
End Goals? College Ball:
Sophomore year, mebbe play a different sport during off season during sophomore year keep practicing pitching/hitting. Then do HS Ball and then travel ball during summer. Junior year strength/pitching academics in off season when not doing a different sport. If she is an athlete it won’t matter if she doesn’t play softball in fall/winter. College coaches will see that.
No college ball: academics/play a different HS sport in off season.HS ball then travel ball.
Specialize too early and she’ll burn out and/or get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If college ball is goal~
The time frame colleges can go make assessments/ watch athletes perform and hold camps of their own is limited. Make sure to plan attending these opportunities in your schedule.
Winter and summer!

Not advisable to miss limited time frame opportunities to get athletes name and experience in front of coaches to get to know their name.
Remember there are thousands of other softball players competing for limited spots in college.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles