Skills videos, when to make them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Skills videos have become an essential tool for recruiting. College coaches get 1000's of emails and requests to "come see me play", they need some way to prioritize their lists. Put together a skills video as soon as your DD begins contacting college coaches. It does not have to be anything fancy or elaborate - just a 3-5 minute video demonstrating her skills. As her skills improve you can make another skills video, which will also give you another reason to contact the college coaches!

We had a professional one made for my DD for $250. If you have a good camera and basic video editing skills, you can probably make your own that would be just as effective. Stay away from special effects and glitzy productions - most college coaches want "meat and potatoes".

Dec 20, 2012
Which begs another question. Is it worth it to get a professional to do a video?

But yeah, when I watch skills videos, it's usually a case of TMI.

Like JAD said, keep the video short and sweet. Put all the extra info for coaches in the Description Box.

Apr 6, 2014
Austin, TX
Skills Video Feedback

What's the best time to make a skills video? What year in high school?

I agree with most of the comments made. I coached at the Division I level for the past 4 years so I've had my fair share of videos to watch. Videos are definitely a great tool to use for recruiting.

When to have your skills video on youtube? Depending on your daughters skill level and goals, the tips below should give you an idea of when to have a video ready.
- Top Tier DI programs are recruiting 8th & 9th graders and are keeping tabs on 7th graders believe or not.
- Mid-Major programs are mostly recruiting Freshmen and sophomores. - Have your video ready by the end of her Freshmen year
- DII, DIII, NAIA - Have your video ready by the end of sophomore year.

Tips for Videos
- Brevity is key. Keep the video to 3-5 minutes.
- No Bunting
- Hitting include side view and behind the plate view. (10 swing max)
- Home to 1st
- Decent Game footage is always good to add.
- If you're doing infield or outfield, make sure the player is running with her hands separated from each other. Anytime we see a infielder or outfielder running with her glove and throwing hand attached, we usually move on to the next video.
- Music is not necessary.
- Include contact information, year of grad, position(s) in the description below the youtube video.

I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions about recruiting, feel free to email me coachchez@gmail.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard