situational hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
12u tournament. elimination game on Sunday bottom of 4th inning tied 0-0. 1 out runner on 3b(leadoff). #4 batter up. Do you let her swing away or ask her to hit a groundball to right side which she is highly capable of doing. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
12u tournament. elimination game on Sunday bottom of 4th inning tied 0-0. 1 out runner on 3b(leadoff). #4 batter up. Do you let her swing away or ask her to hit a groundball to right side which she is highly capable of doing. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Me personally, I'd go with the later option and have my 3Ber taking off on contact (as in a 'safety squeeze') ... if they see that the ball hits dirt then they they continue running full steam ahead regardless of whether or not the 2Ber fields the ball. My attitude here is that I'm going to force the defensive team to make the tough out.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

I guess you have to know your batters' abilities well enough and how the game has been going (particularly the number of strikeouts) to use your gut there, but I'm not a big believer of situational hitting at 12U outside of bunting or slapping, or unless I have a hitter whose bat control is very proven. I might put in the ear of the batter that ''if you get one you can handle'' as in an outside pitch, then go that way. But otherwise, just seems to me that the chances of successfully getting a grounder to 2B or 1B (especially when you might not get a good pitch to do that) aren't more productive and are less likely than swinging away and reaping the benefits of what a #4 hitter might do - hit, ROE, sac-fly, walk (which would mean runners on second-third with 1 out) or accidental ground ball to the right side.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If my runner has some wheels, I'd probably let my clean up swing away. The 4 is there for the main reason of being a power hitter, so even a long fly, the runner can tag up. One thing I'd have to know before trying the grounder, is the skill of the defense. Situational hitting has many variables to consider. What may work at the 9am game against team B, may not be a good options at the 1pm game against team C. As always, whatever you choose to run, if it works you're a hero..........if it doesn't you're an idiot. :)

Am I still asleep? Leadoff on 3rd, 1 out, #4 up, where is the other runner?

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
Sorry leadoff courtesy ran for catcher #2 batter. The 4 batter isn't a typical power hitter more of a contact hitter with sporadic power. If I made the lineup she would be a 6 or 7 batter. Up to this point 4 batter was 1-7 with 3 infield pop flies . Didn't have a great tournament.

4 batter is my DD we work this situation every time we hit. 5-10 pitches. DD swings at first pitch low and away hits the gb run scores. Head coach gets upset says something about better selection. She needs to be looking for a pitch she can drive in a gap.

I disagree. Late in the game tied score. I say get the run in.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
If F4 is back, I have no problem with asking my #4 hitter to give it a shot. If you've been batting 9, R3 is very likely one of the few base runners you've had all game; gotta try something. I know in this situation, if I'm the opposing coach, my infield is playing in.

Dec 4, 2013
I guess you have to know your batters' abilities well enough and how the game has been going (particularly the number of strikeouts) to use your gut there, but I'm not a big believer of situational hitting at 12U outside of bunting or slapping, or unless I have a hitter whose bat control is very proven. I might put in the ear of the batter that ''if you get one you can handle'' as in an outside pitch, then go that way. But otherwise, just seems to me that the chances of successfully getting a grounder to 2B or 1B (especially when you might not get a good pitch to do that) aren't more productive and are less likely than swinging away and reaping the benefits of what a #4 hitter might do - hit, ROE, sac-fly, walk (which would mean runners on second-third with 1 out) or accidental ground ball to the right side.

Agreed. I think situational hitting at 12u must be awfully tough! I am at the high school level and would only feel confident with a handful of my kids to hit a ground ball to the right side on command. I guess it would depend on the pitchers tendencies as well. Is she mixing it up, in and out, or living on the outter half. I guess if she is consistently pitching away and you have confidence in your DD you could make it work!

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
DD swings at first pitch low and away hits the gb run scores. Head coach gets upset says something about better selection. She needs to be looking for a pitch she can drive in a gap.

Sounds like a difficult guy to please:confused: IMO, if you've got her in the 4-hole, she must be doing something right

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Bunt i have won many games with #4 bunting at 12U. This is sofball if you are going to win then you must be able to bunt. Same situation , my dd is on third ( very fast) 1 out and the game is tied. Our HR # 4 hitter is at bat ( never bunts) Coach gives her the sign to bunt, she looks at him as to say are you crazy me bunting! Then looks at my dd smiling on third then laughs. She lays down a bunt down the third base line and dd is across home late and doesn't even have to slide and we win! Point being if you have speed on third in softball small ball is a weapon! Most that don't understand softball are x baseball coaches! In softball all players must be able to bunt, as a coach you must DEVELOPE them to learn how. Even Bustos was required to bunt .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr