Showcase strategy: What do you think of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
I watched a game at Legacy where a team made a pitching change. The 3B came in to pitch and the pitcher moved to 3B. The pitcher that moved to 3B was a "good sized" girl and appeared uncomfortable at 3B. Anyway, the team batting proceeded to bunt about 7 straight times so they could take the lead. The coaches watching the game (2 or 3) got up and walked away. They wanted to see the kids hit. If the games mattered, I understand......but c'mon, showcase the kids. It is a showcase. Our team batted the entire lineup the every game. Our coach showcased the young ladies not committed, and it paid off. After we were done on Sunday our coach met with multiple college coaches. There was buzz for just about every one of our uncommitted kids.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I watched a game at Legacy where a team made a pitching change. The 3B came in to pitch and the pitcher moved to 3B. The pitcher that moved to 3B was a "good sized" girl and appeared uncomfortable at 3B. Anyway, the team batting proceeded to bunt about 7 straight times so they could take the lead. The coaches watching the game (2 or 3) got up and walked away. They wanted to see the kids hit. If the games mattered, I understand......but c'mon, showcase the kids. It is a showcase. Our team batted the entire lineup the every game. Our coach showcased the young ladies not committed, and it paid off. After we were done on Sunday our coach met with multiple college coaches. There was buzz for just about every one of our uncommitted kids.

All of the games at Legacy were showcase games, but a lot of showcases have gone to a format where the pool games now seed a single elimination tournament. This creates an interesting dilemma for the coaches - do they showcase their girls or play to win? The sad part to me is that the TD keep telling us that this is what the college coaches want, but in my experience very few of the college coaches stick around until Saturday afternoon and Sunday to watch the tournament.

Dec 19, 2012
Any showcase with single elimination tourney we've been in has been based on a blind draw, not any form of "pool play". Therefore, you can showcase the girls for every game except the start of the single elimination tourney. We went to 2 or three of them this year.

Oct 25, 2009
All of the games at Legacy were showcase games, but a lot of showcases have gone to a format where the pool games now seed a single elimination tournament. This creates an interesting dilemma for the coaches - do they showcase their girls or play to win? The sad part to me is that the TD keep telling us that this is what the college coaches want, but in my experience very few of the college coaches stick around until Saturday afternoon and Sunday to watch the tournament.

Play to win!! Always play to win!! Broadcast it up front to all the other teams and all the college coaches that you are playing to win—period!! Let your parents know up front that you intend to play to win!!

That's the way to showcase your players!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Play to win!! Always play to win!! Broadcast it up front to all the other teams and all the college coaches that you are playing to win—period!! Let your parents know up front that you intend to play to win!!

That's the way to showcase your players!!!

I always want my players to give 110% and "play to win", but "managing for a win" can be tricky. You need to get all your players some reps to keep them sharp. If you only bat 9 how are your #10-14 hitters going to get any better? What happens when your starting SS twists an ankle? Will you have another player ready to step up? In showcases do you just use your starters who are already verballed, or do you give the uncommitted girls a chance to shine even though using your verballed players gives you the best chance to win? How long with the players/parents of the girls on the bench be around if they never play?

I try to break games into categories
1) Qualifiers/Nationals - best 9 on the field and at the plate
2) Showcases - preference given to non-verballed players, bat everyone
3) Friendlies - move players around and cross train everyone for a secondary position
4) Pool games - get some innings for girls who many not get much playing time in bracket play
5) Bracket games - players in primary positions with substitutions made when possible.

Oct 25, 2009
I always want my players to give 110% and "play to win", but "managing for a win" can be tricky. You need to get all your players some reps to keep them sharp. If you only bat 9 how are your #10-14 hitters going to get any better? What happens when your starting SS twists an ankle? Will you have another player ready to step up? In showcases do you just use your starters who are already verballed, or do you give the uncommitted girls a chance to shine even though using your verballed players gives you the best chance to win? How long with the players/parents of the girls on the bench be around if they never play?

I try to break games into categories
1) Qualifiers/Nationals - best 9 on the field and at the plate
2) Showcases - preference given to non-verballed players, bat everyone
3) Friendlies - move players around and cross train everyone for a secondary position
4) Pool games - get some innings for girls who many not get much playing time in bracket play
5) Bracket games - players in primary positions with substitutions made when possible.

Consider each player on the field one of the "best nine." Find another way to determine who is on the field besides judging one to be better than the other. Have the ones in the game understand that the win is up to them. What effect might that have on a player? Think about that! Might affect who is chosen for the team in the first place.