Should pitchers bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
DD is a very good pitcher. Loves to pitch. She is an exceptional athlete also though. If you told her she couldn't hit and would sit when she wasn't pitching, she would never step in the circle again.

We are getting to the age of making decisions for college. It will be interesting if she decides to play as a position player or a pitcher. While the fan in me would like her to choose position player, the parent in me wants her to choose pitcher for the extra scholarship $$.

Nothing would be better than handing her a bank statement with her college fund still intact when she graduates college because she didn't end up needing to use it.
Don't hold your breath on scholarship $$. By the way, why are you so worried about this? You have told us many time how great of a athlete she is and a honor student. She could get academic $$$.

Oct 8, 2014
My daughter loves pitching, she eats, sleep and talks nothing but pitching. On the weekends, she wakes up her dad to catch for her. Her batting is decent, her weak point is the slow pitchers.Instead of waiting, she has a tendency to slow her bat speed. She hits right but also can slap hit and bunt from the left. Her speed is above average. With a little work, she can be a very good batter.

Jan 11, 2015
Don't hold your breath on scholarship $$. By the way, why are you so worried about this? You have told us many time how great of a athlete she is and a honor student. She could get academic $$$.

Who would ever tell a kid not to bet on scholorship dollars, they are at d1. Not sure about d2 but at d3 there is no sports scholarships, but here is what happens. They will find a way to come up with all of the money they can for acad. and whatever ever else brilliant mind they have. Softball opens up doors that wouldnt be opened otherwise. One of my daughters previos coaches played d3, played all four years at school for FREE! Acadimics is a must and the most important though.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2015
By the way d1 has 12 scholarships per team, to be split up however they choose, 3 full rides and rest split in half or whatever break down they want. And also next year in d1 they will get 1500 spending cash per year as well. It does take a ton of work and great coaching to get to that level however!

JJS

Jan 9, 2015

I assume she will get both. I have talked about my DD's honor roll in exactly 1 other post. I'm not sure why, but your post comes off as being offended. Did I say something offensive?

Feb 3, 2014
Regarding the Original post, should pitchers bat?
My 2018 RHP/1B DD gets recognized more for her hitting than pitching - late to the pitching party but getting there. 2 weeks into high school season & she fractured her right thumb when hit by an inside pitch TWICE at the same at bat. She hopes to be back by the last week of the season but it's obviously been a high school season changer & made us much more aware of the reasons why some coaches don't want pitchers to hit. My DD takes both pitching & hitting lessons & hopes to do both, as long as possible !

May 18, 2009
There's always room for a hitter on a team, always! I love watching my DD at bat. I get a bigger thrill watching her hit than I do of watching her pitch. Last game 2 for 3 with a FC up the middle. 2 doubles to the fence, 5 RBI and 3 runs scored. OBP 1.000 The second double gave us the win. She had 7K with 2 1/3 in pitched. I'm still smiling about the last double.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Her batting is decent, her weak point is the slow pitchers.Instead of waiting, she has a tendency to slow her bat speed.
DD#1 used to adjust to slower pitching by fake-bunting on every pitch.

Nov 18, 2013

Who would ever tell a kid not to bet on scholorship dollars, they are at d1. Not sure about d2 but at d3 there is no sports scholarships, but here is what happens. They will find a way to come up with all of the money they can for acad. and whatever ever else brilliant mind they have. Softball opens up doors that wouldnt be opened otherwise. One of my daughters previos coaches played d3, played all four years at school for FREE! Acadimics is a must and the most important though.

You shouldn’t hold your breath on a softball scholarship because they’re hard to come by and in most cases they cover only a portion of college costs. D1 schools are allowed 12, but many programs aren’t fully funded and have fewer. People hear “softball scholarship” and jump to the conclusions that’s it’s a full ride. In most cases girls get a combination of athletic, academic, grants and loans. Some will say that’s a “full ride” and technically it may be, but certainly don’t count on just softball to pay for school.

The NCAA is pretty strict about athletic money being disguised as other aid. Schools at any level can’t just come up with creative ways to get you money. Most grants are need based and academic money has to be earned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan