Should I be insulted?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Just to be clear, my work commitments only affect my Saturday team (rec team if you will) I have no issues with being assistant on that team, I understand it.
My Sunday rep team, who as of this point don't have any games planned (because there is literally no-one to play outside our association. Softball is tragic in this state) will train on Sundays. When I have no commitments. I am 100% committed to this side and will not miss any trainings or games if there are any.

Thank you everyone for the advice. It's really helping.

Nov 29, 2009
Just to be clear, my work commitments only affect my Saturday team (rec team if you will) I have no issues with being assistant on that team, I understand it.
My Sunday rep team, who as of this point don't have any games planned (because there is literally no-one to play outside our association. Softball is tragic in this state) will train on Sundays. When I have no commitments. I am 100% committed to this side and will not miss any trainings or games if there are any.

Thank you everyone for the advice. It's really helping.

Could it be they are worried about your commitment to the rec program will affect your Rep team? Without being there it's hard to say. You just may be facing a case of the "Good ole Boys" club. If that's the case you're fighting an uphill battle and I wish you luck.

It sounds like you have nothing but the best interest of the girls in mind and that can scare "boys" as well.

Dec 2, 2010
Ditto Peppers, I am here for the kids, because I love to TEACH the game, to anyone who wants to learn, and occasionally learn something myself, whether it be from another coach, or even a player. Dont let ego, or anything else get in the way of what we all love to do... COACH!

Mar 13, 2010
Just wanted to let everyone know what happened now that the season is over.

Ended up swallowing my pride and did it. Was told that I would be given the numbers for the 'teachers'. Was never given them. Me and the other coach did everything ourselves with the girls. The association did get the girls shirts and hats (though half the girls never got shirts as the majority of the sizes were far too small. Most of the girls are 10-12. I was given 15 size 8s. I still have 14 left over! Despite repeated emails never got anywhere with more shirts though they were promised) Sadly, they never played anywhere as we couldn't find any teams to play (not for lack of trying!)

At the end of the season had about six different people come up to me and the other coach and tell us that they were able to pick out every girl we coached as they were clearly above all the other kids in their division. One of the mums thanked me at my senior presentation (I play for a different club as the club I coach doesn't have seniors) telling me that she doesn't think her daughter would have quite the skills she would as her rec coaches were rubbish (which is awkward as one of the coaches father was two feet away from me. Mumbled thanks and left it at that)

One of the mum's of a girl who is a state player watched us training and was quite nice. They're American so they get quite frustrated (her husband was someone I used quite regurally for advice as he has a lot of knowledge on what's current. While this website is very, very helpful, he can physically show me which is a Godsend) She is now on the state board and when applications for state positions got in touch with a mutual friend and told her that I should apply for a state position! I had already done so, but was quite chuffed at that.

Hopefully I'll get the team again next year and we can find someone for them to play! I will be sending out invitations when the state sponsered events for the younger girls are on, because sadly unless they get in the state system young (and know the right people) they won't go anywhere.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I hear your pain Lozza. I have coached ASA Teams for the last 8 years. This year our HS had 21 Freshman come out. They made 2 teams, a JV and JV2, both teams only have 1 coach. When it was announced that they would have 2 teams I volunteered to help (that meant spending about $100 getting certified to coach HS, taking time off work, ect). The JV coach said he would talk to Varsity coach about it. A couple of days later I was told don't worry about it. Both teams still have 1 coach each, and are using players to coach 1B. Insulted? Maybe a little, more bewildered to turn help down when it wouldn't cost the school anything. But it saved me money and time, and I get to actually watch and cheer the games now with zero pressure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00