Shady Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
it's not often enforced, but i had an ump pull out the book on me with it this fall. most sanctions, require hands together for approx 1 sec, and not more than 10sec. neither pitcher in video reached the 1 sec threshold.

May 29, 2015
pause with hands together of at least 1 second.

A pause is not required. The hands are required to be together, but a pause at this point is not required.

NFHS 6-1-1(c):
... the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

USA 6A.1.E
The pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball, a backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together.

USSSA 6.1.D
After completing “C” above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

NCAA 10.2.3
10.2.3 After receiving the signal, the pitcher’s hands must come together in view of the plate umpire for not more than five seconds.

Note: The hands do not have to come to a complete stop and, therefore, may be moving during the touch.

Where a pause IS required -- and the most commonly missed illegal pitch I see now -- is before that. The pitcher must take a signal or simulate taking a signal while in contact with the pitcher's plate and before starting their motion. Pitchers are taking their signal off the pitcher's plate, stepping up, and going right into their pitch. It is almost a walkthrough. Umpires NEED to start calling this. The enforcement I have seen is so atrocious that I hope all the major codes go back to making it illegal to take the signal behind the pitcher's plate.

Mar 18, 2021
This is pretty ridiculous obviously but I’ve seen this happen recently in reverse. Runner takes off for 3rd and our C has her hosed by 20ft based on her transfer… 3rd base coach is yelling at the batter on the pitch “back up, back up!!” Batter literally ends up 5ft to the 3rd base dugout and takes another step every time our catcher does. Video backs this up

Umpire makes no call other than runner safe at 3rd

3rd base coach is a former WCWS winning pitcher by the way.

My advice to our catcher was unfortunate but the only thing I could give in this situation, if she does it again, just throw it….hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi