Shady Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That play is ridiculous. It’s obvious that a play is not being made on the runner. Therefore it’s not interference. Plus PU isn’t even watching in clip 2.

So the batters coach didn’t talk to her between games to teach her what her responsibilities are because she is wandering all over the place.

I would say 2 sets of coaches need to be better.

Jun 11, 2013
That play is ridiculous. It’s obvious that a play is not being made on the runner. Therefore it’s not interference. Plus PU isn’t even watching in clip 2.

So the batters coach didn’t talk to her between games to teach her what her responsibilities are because she is wandering all over the place.

I would say 2 sets of coaches need to be better.
I don't know if I would even say anything after the first. Honestly it's so far off from what I would think anyone would coach a kid to do that I would think it slipped or something. Now, the second time I would call the TD over and get that team out of the game.

Nov 9, 2021
Let me start off by saying I don’t like intentionally hitting a kid in any situation. But I do think some of the issue is with the rule or at least some umpires interpretation of the rule. I have been told on more than one occasion by umpires my catcher has to to throw the ball and it has to hit the batter before they will award interference.

I have had a catcher go to make a throw and stop because a batter backed right in her way, and she then moved around again and made the throw. The umpire stated he would have awarded interference if she threw the ball the first time and it hit the batter. I told him I didn’t want to teach my girl to throw and hit a batter intentionally and he stated he understood. He then said just have the catcher throw the ball to the base and not worry about the batter as it would be her fault. I politely discussed that is just semantics and I would still be having my catcher hit the player with the ball. Maybe a better interpretation of the current rule would prevent things like the videos above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2015
The parents are in on it too? You can hear 2 different people calling for an out in the first clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
From watching this game/short video I would say these teams are pretty new to travel softball, or they do not play high level 12u softball. This comes down to a catcher or young female who is still learning the game. Often times a young player will take the advice of a coach too literally. That is what I am seeing in this video. The coach told the catcher to hit the batter with the ball, if the batter is in the way. The catcher took the coaches advice very literally, and she did what the coach told her to do.

Regardless, this should not be allowed. The catcher actually went out of her way to hit the batter in the head on purpose. She made no effort to work around the batter. The batter looks to be lost on the play also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi