Scrimmage or Practice???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2012
So here's the situation...it has hardly stopped raining since we drafted our Rec league team a month ago. We've only been able to get on an actual softball field twice and then 2 other practices on a grass field. We've been in the cages twice a week on top of that.

Now, opening day is coming up next Saturday. Normally, I have a scrimmage set up before then so that my girls understand some game situations. Being 10U rec, I have several girls who've never played at all and many who just moved up from 8U coach pitch. We have practice on Tuesday and then a scrimmage planned for Thursday, but I'm trying to decide what would be better, the scrimmage or another practice. Truth is we need both, as all of our teams do.

Just wondering thoughts on what others prefer in similar situations, another practice or a chance to get the girls in a scrimmage...

Oct 25, 2009
Scrimmage! No brainer. It would be even better if Tuesday was a scrimmage.

In a scrimmage you will be able to see what will actually happen in a game. More importantly, the girls will see what actually happens; they won't know the difference.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would do a scrimmage too. Setup the rules so it doesn’t become a walk feast. 2 innings player pitch then coach pitch or something.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Since I view 8U rec as being largely instructional, I'd say you've already got a scrimmage coming up. It's disguised as your opening-day game. They can learn more about game situations then. ...

Not saying you should not do a scrimmage before that, but I doubt I'd spend the whole practice on it. I could see a 5-on-5 where everybody batted one time just so they'd get a taste of what it's going to look like. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice many reps of throwing, fielding, swinging the bat. I don't view the first game of an 8U season the same way I do the opening of the school play, where everybody needs to know their lines. IMO, games are practice too at this level.

Apr 15, 2012
I say the practice is going to be WAY more productive. Assuming the other team is as green as yours, there is going to be a lot of kids standing around not doing anything. Where as in a practice every kid can be working and improving on fundamentals!! Trying to teach 8, 9 and 10 year old girls (at Rec league level) every aspect of the "game" is kinda like putting the cart in front of the horse. IMO focus should be on fundamentals like, throwing mechanics, catching mechanics, heck even running mechanics. Working on the little things will put you way ahead of the rest!

Last edited:

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
I say Thursday scrimmage for 45 minutes to an hour and then break for 10-15 minutes and practice for 45 minutes to an hour to work on the most important things you discover during scrimmage.

We are going into our 4th season coaching 10u, and I don't think we've ever gone into a season without at least one scrimmage before league games start. Both you and the girls will be more comfortable if you've scrimmaged and know what to expect. JMHO.

I say Thursday scrimmage for 45 minutes to an hour and then break for 10-15 minutes and practice for 45 minutes to an hour to work on the most important things you discover during scrimmage.

We are going into our 4th season coaching 10u, and I don't think we've ever gone into a season without at least one scrimmage before league games start. Both you and the girls will be more comfortable if you've scrimmaged and know what to expect. JMHO.

This is the right answer, along with very liberal substitution rules and I would probably do the coach pitch thing to prevent the walk fest. While you want to simulate a game standing around for an hour watching girls walk won't accomplish anything. big thing is going to be like 459 said go over things that happened in the scrimmage so they actually learn something.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Truth is we need both

Yes, you do.

459 makes a good point.

We use to do intersquad scrimmages a good bit. Rec I'm assuming you probably have at least 12 players? Split them up 6 vs 6, best way you can with primary and secondary positions in rotation, get parents to shag outfield or play position holes in the rotation.

This gives you game type experience, but allows time between plays for explanations and developmental procedures.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Practice and then set up an internal scrimmage without outfielders.

In 10U rec with a lot of new players the ball isn't going to get to the outfield all that often anyway and you can just ignore balls hit there for the scrimmage(call them 'doubles').

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan