Screwball Spin vs Fastball Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We get into these discussions regularly.

Perfect Circle's DD does get 3-9 spin...but she isn't throwing the ball particularly fast. Will she be able to throw the ball at 60MPH with 3-9 spin? I have my doubts.

I have yet to see a 3-9 pitch at varsity level of HS softball, college or pro.

At the upper levels, the screwball is a "step left, throw right" pitch with bullet spin.

Thx... 3-9 & she throws the same... on left or right

Yep first thing we learned from Edy's post, was it didn't have to be fast. So it is an off speed pitch, and to be used @ different speeds.

If your looking for exsamples, Check out this years NPF ChamiopnShips. ST throws very similar to DD, except she can't bend it back @ Lefty's like DD :cool: If you seen the final, you would see 5+ 70mph pitchers setting the bench... ST threw the last pitch of that game :{))

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Pitching/Timed%20P%26S_HB.mp4" />
</video>

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
So you are saying it is a physical impossibility for a pitcher to get 3-9 rotation and high speed? In the case of Perfect Circle's DD she will throw it 3-9 up to certain speed and at some point she will lose the physical ability to throw it any faster? From a physics and bio mechanics standpoint none of that makes any sense. I agree that it is not a common pitch, but there are those out there that throw it very well with 3-9 spin and it is very effective.

He used to say it was impossible to just throw a 9/3, he's walking it back now.... then say's we'll see about DD... :{)) What he is going to see in (4K) is DD throw a Rise that does JUMP.... LOL :cool:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Check out this years NPF ChamiopnShips. ST throws very similar to DD, except she can't bend it back @ Lefty's like DD

I did watch ST and have a recording of the game.

There was no slow motion of her pitch, so it is impossible to tell the spin on the pitch.

Shelby had super control on her inside pitches. The "screwball", if that is what it was, was thrown as an away pitch to set up the inside fastball.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I did watch ST and have a recording of the game.

There was no slow motion of her pitch, so it is impossible to tell the spin on the pitch.

Shelby had super control on her inside pitches. The "screwball", if that is what it was, was thrown as an away pitch to set up the inside fastball.

AWESOME... you know what I'm talking about !!! Yea, I couldn't tell you if it was "ScrewBall" either. My point was that she wasn't that fast... like CW when playing for Ga.... but 45rps. :cool:

Jul 17, 2012
I'd have to see a true 9-3 screwball with enough rotation and velocity to make a difference to believe it. Can I believe there's a martian out there that can do it? Sure. Most of what I have seen called a screwball is a bulletspin pitch with a slight nose down yaw that creates a subtle inward "drift". The pitch for most part, based on what I have seen, relies on the smoke and mirrors of angles. Not to say it's not effective.... just not buying the 9-3 gig. I'd love to see someone throw it with a striped ball and show me a nice crisp "flat" line.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'd have to see a true 9-3 screwball with enough rotation and velocity to make a difference to believe it. Can I believe there's a martian out there that can do it? Sure. Most of what I have seen called a screwball is a bulletspin pitch with a slight nose down yaw that creates a subtle inward "drift". The pitch for most part, based on what I have seen, relies on the smoke and mirrors of angles. Not to say it's not effective.... just not buying the 9-3 gig. I'd love to see someone throw it with a striped ball and show me a nice crisp "flat" line.

I take it you didn't see my clip in this thread... #8 ???

I haven't heard from you in awhile on here...

The Clip is in its own viewer... autoplays & looped like a .gif. More importantly, if on a computer it expands to full 1920 x 1080p. Right click to download direct... no need of You-Tube scrapping.

As you can see, it is a game, & can't use a stripped ball, not even in warm ups :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
What is a bullet spin? I get the opportunity to catch a former NPF pitcher so I'm curious. Her fastball spin is different than my DD's.

EDIT: When I catch her the ball spins like a clock in a near perfect circle.

Nov 16, 2016
My daughter is throwing a beautiful screwball at 12. If she is hit by a right handed batter, the ball meekly grounds off tailing to the right as it rolls. Her fastball is thrown on a 12-6/11/5 at about 51 mph. Her screwball is absolutely a 9-3 at about 47 mph. It's typical for the other pitches to fall off a few miles per hour. Hers doesn't drop but curves just slightly in at a righty and away on a lefty. The way it comes off the bat supports the movement that is supposed to be in the pitch.

Jul 17, 2012
I take it you didn't see my clip in this thread... #8 ???

I haven't heard from you in awhile on here...

The Clip is in its own viewer... autoplays & looped like a .gif. More importantly, if on a computer it expands to full 1920 x 1080p. Right click to download direct... no need of You-Tube scrapping.

As you can see, it is a game, & can't use a stripped ball, not even in warm ups :cool:

Sorry for my absence... I've been a little busy lately. I now have TWO pitchers to cater to. My 8 year old has taken a liking to the pitching attention... so she's bought in to the program and is keeping me busy. I did see your clip in post #8. .... And it is affirmation to my point that it doesn't have enough velocity to do anything other than drift. I assume that is your daughter.. and if so.. that is a far cry from what she is bringing with her power pitches. It's likely more effective as a result of the speed change than it is the break. Not sure if that blur that you pop on the video is supposed to show me 9-3 spin. But I'll say this....if it works... drive it like you stole it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Sorry for my absence... I've been a little busy lately. I now have TWO pitchers to cater to. My 8 year old has taken a liking to the pitching attention... so she's bought in to the program and is keeping me busy. I did see your clip in post #8. .... And it is affirmation to my point that it doesn't have enough velocity to do anything other than drift. I assume that is your daughter.. and if so.. that is a far cry from what she is bringing with her power pitches. It's likely more effective as a result of the speed change than it is the break. Not sure if that blur that you pop on the video is supposed to show me 9-3 spin. But I'll say this....if it works... drive it like you stole it.

WOW 2 pitchers....sounds fun !!! Speaking of Fun... Curves & Screws are fun. Started out around 10U teaching DD both. The idea was to make her feel like a magician, & she did.

Here is a couple things I found very helpful...

-When I started out early, only build on what I'd keep. Speed increases with size, and you know, they grow up fast. Your going to need off speed that breaks 2 planes. With DD I was aware of catching a hitch, when learning CU's. I knew how hard it was to fix... so I stayed out of it. Besides she could hit them, she wasn't impressed.

-Because she could always see the ball real good hitting, the best thing to teach is why to throw a SB/C first. I did that by pitching them to her. Even now @ 14, I have her hitting BB, on a machine, that can move the ball in & out, but it can't move them as much as she can. She would hate to face a pitcher like herself.

-Really the ball only has to move the width of the bat, or out of the sweet spot. The goal now becomes... keeping your corners from getting drilled, and spreading the pop-ups around to all the fielders.

Here she is taking a little pop out of a big bat. :cool: She was guesting, and didn't have her #57 on. But the 57 showed up, on 1/100 seconds form release to plate. The team had 10 double plays, in three games that day...
glad she got 1 like the big girls :{)) Same speed...same pitch she learned in 10U

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Resent/Bend_HB.mp4" />
</video>

Good Luck with the Newbie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00