Screwball Proof, or Not!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I’ve seen 4 people throw scrops. Two of those were almost throwing sidearm and if was pretty much their only pitch... Another was Edy, an inactive member here who was trying to perfect it, and last one was from my daughter. Super inconsistent, but it would be effective if she could spin and spot it consistently.

Still waiting on video of a game speed pitch thrown 3-9 that breaks.
Interesting that in slo-mo it looks more like bullet spin, the double black lines are visually confusing.

Aug 21, 2008
Somebody owes me some money, there was an offer of a bounty if someone could produce video of a pitch with legitimate screwball spin. At 55 seconds she starts throwing her screwball, it looks like what you typically see, but the last one she throws starting at 1:09, with a camera angel from the 3rd base line, is with a striped ball and it looks like true screw spin to me. Pay up!

Sorry Arm, I still see bullet spin. And based off her mechanics, there'd be no chance of ever getting reverse side spin. Scratch that, unless someone is double/triple jointed, NOBODY will get reverse side spin.

That said, I'll vouch that I see the same spin if you will split the cash!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I have a student who came in following some time off who was all of a sudden throwing a nasty scrop. Previously her drop had 12/6 spin but this weekend it was 1-7 and cut nicely inside. Interestingly, she uses a two finger grip. If she/we could identity how she's doing it and learn to throw it consistently, it would be devastating against RHB's.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06