Screwball for 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2014
I have 1 ten yo throwing the screw, but she is playing 12u. I find it easy to throw and I love the screw change up. But, here at 10U, I am lucky if the coach would call even a CU. No one calls anything at 10U.

How do you throw a screw change up. This sounds like a good pitch to learn?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm a fan of teaching the peel drop first then the change and third a feathered release fastball. Teaching movement pitches to 10u kids is ok, if she is only working on the basics of creating spin. I move into the rise ball as a #4 pitch because the posturing of the arm and hand have some similarities to a screw and curve, making it an easier transition down the road. But under no circumstances would I expect her to pitch a game with these new spins. Papa pump made a good point in the fact the distance is only 35'... in order to get the late movement, you'll need a min of 40'.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Today is ThrowBack Thursday, so I'm going to say you need to have five different speeds for your fastball and three deliveries so you can fool the hitters. Then get three changeups and a couple of drops. *Long-time members will get this joke.*

In reality, whether age/growth plates affects the decision depends on how you throw the screw. There are some that require more manipulation/twisting and will create more stress on the arm, especially the elbow and wrist. The way I teach it it more peels off the first finger so less stressful.

But as has been pointed out, the first indicator is reasonable command of the fastball. You need to be able to throw the ball where you want it with consistency before you worry about making it move. Changeup second, and I am definitely in the drop third camp. Get those to where you can throw them in any situation where they're called for in a game and you can start worrying about other pitchers. Odds are you'll be well past 10 by then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA