scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I would score it a K with an E-2 if the batter made it to first base. If the catcher gets the passed ball and makes the out at first I would just score it a K.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
how would you score a strike out with pass ball just wondering.

Be aware that you technically didn't describe what happened. You used statistical terms (SO and PB). That's like asking how do you score a double. If you use terms, then you score them as the terms that you used - a strike out and a passed ball.

If there was a third strike (not a foul tip, but a strike), then it's strikeout no matter what happens from there.

After that, did the batter reach first safely? If not, you score the play depending on how the batter/runner was put out. For example, strikeout, 2-3. No passed ball or wild pitch.

If the batter reaches safely, it is one of three things -- passed ball (catcher muffs the pitch and had no play at first, which is rare), wild pitch (pitch was wild and there was no play at first) or an error (there was still a play at first, but there was a bad throw or bad catch).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here's a scenario that I can't answer. Let's say there's a runner at second. Catcher muffs third strike (should've caught it). Catcher has plenty of time to get the runner at first, but chooses to throw out or pick off the runner at second. Is that a passed ball? Or, since there was a routine play to be had at first, a fielder's choice? Or better yet, what if there's a runner on third. Catcher holds ball to prevent runner from attempting to score. Would seem like a fielder's choice to me, no passed ball.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Here's a scenario that I can't answer. Let's say there's a runner at second. Catcher muffs third strike (should've caught it). Catcher has plenty of time to get the runner at first, but chooses to throw out or pick off the runner at second. Is that a passed ball? Or, since there was a routine play to be had at first, a fielder's choice? Or better yet, what if there's a runner on third. Catcher holds ball to prevent runner from attempting to score. Would seem like a fielder's choice to me, no passed ball.

Unless the catcher records an out at some base, it will be K - E2 (that allowed runner to reach) or K - WP. In rare instances you may have a K - E3 where the 1B simply drops a throw.

The only cases where batter might be recorded as K - FC would be if the catcher throws or puts out another runner. Such as bases loaded, 2 outs and simply recording the force at home on R3. I suppose there are other situations where you could record an out on the bases but batter reaches 1B when all is said and done.

Some common scoring notation that I think is touched on above would be K-2 (catcher tags batter after D3K) and K - 2-3 (catcher retires batter with throw to 1B).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Unless the catcher records an out at some base, it will be K - E2 (that allowed runner to reach)

I don't think intentionally holding the ball and not attempting a play is an error, unless you're saying the error is charged for dropping the third strike. I'd think the decision not to throw, or to throw to another base (safe or not) would be a fielder's choice. Similarly, if you have a runner on third and a bunt to the pitcher, if pitcher decides to hold the ball (when the out could've been made at first) for the sake of holding the runner, that's also a fielder's choice, right?

Sep 30, 2013
I don't think intentionally holding the ball and not attempting a play is an error, unless you're saying the error is charged for dropping the third strike. I'd think the decision not to throw, or to throw to another base (safe or not) would be a fielder's choice. Similarly, if you have a runner on third and a bunt to the pitcher, if pitcher decides to hold the ball (when the out could've been made at first) for the sake of holding the runner, that's also a fielder's choice, right?

I think the question’s a good one, but I don’t know that it should be all that difficult to figger out how to score it. As soon as the batter reached 1st base it was a passed ball. IOW, she’d have been out had the catcher simply caught the pitch in flight. The batter’s life was extended by the passed ball not the choice of where the throw was made.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Yes the error is for not catching the D3K, a PB allows a runner already on base to advance but the D3K-PB is an E2 allowing the batter to reach 1st. Unless the ball is ruled a WP you have to give an E2 for not recording the out.

Mar 26, 2013
Errors are not charged for passed balls. The only differences between a passed ball and a wild pitch is whom gets charged (C/P) and PB have an effect when determining earned runs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd