scoring questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
If a batter hits a pop up and shortstop loses it in the sun and it hits ground five feet from her but she never touches it, or middle infielders think each other is going to catch the ball but neither do and it drops thats scored a hit, right?

Next scenerio if there is a runner on two less than two outs batter hits a ball over third baseman and drops in fair, baserunner on second goes to third, the batter never stops running and reaches second as left fielder just throws to SS never looking at batter. Will that be scored a single with runner advancing to second on throw or a double?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If a batter hits a pop up and shortstop loses it in the sun and it hits ground five feet from her but she never touches it, or middle infielders think each other is going to catch the ball but neither do and it drops thats scored a hit, right?

Hit.

Also, I'm not aware of any scoring rule book that says it's an error if the ball hits a glove. That's a rule that was made up by a lazy scorekeeper, IMO.

Next scenerio if there is a runner on two less than two outs batter hits a ball over third baseman and drops in fair, baserunner on second goes to third, the batter never stops running and reaches second as left fielder just throws to SS never looking at batter. Will that be scored a single with runner advancing to second on throw or a double?

Double. But not as certain. Was the defense trying to prevent the run from scoring, or was the defense just oblivious to the batter/runner? I don't know if there is an ''indifference'' consideration on plays like this. Good question.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
If the scorekeeper is the parent of the pitcher, both are charged as errors to the nearest fielder whether they touched it or not.:rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2010
First one wold depend on th level of play. Should it have been an easy catch? If yes, error the closest fielder who would be running in.

Second would be a double. If the runner was going to second regardless and there wasn't a error made, credit them the double.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
First one wold depend on th level of play. Should it have been an easy catch? If yes, error the closest fielder who would be running in.

Second would be a double. If the runner was going to second regardless and there wasn't a error made, credit them the double.

I believe you are correct about #2, Lozza.

As for #1, the NCAA awards hits in the following situations:

14.3.7 On a fair ball that might have touched a fielder but
was blown by the wind, lost in the sun or lights, or that falls to
the ground because the fielder slips on the field or an object on
the field (e.g., catcher’s mask, base, home plate, sprinkler).

14.3.13 If the ball is not touched because of confusion as to
who should have fielded it.

Mar 11, 2009
Hit.

Also, I'm not aware of any scoring rule book that says it's an error if the ball hits a glove. That's a rule that was made up by a lazy scorekeeper, IMO.

Double. But not as certain. Was the defense trying to prevent the run from scoring, or was the defense just oblivious to the batter/runner? I don't know if there is an ''indifference'' consideration on plays like this. Good question.

the defense was oblivious to the batter, the hit was a line drive over third basemans head close to the baseline. baserunner ran to third and stopped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi