Scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Quick scoring question.

Pitcher A starts game. Pitcher A pitches 4 inning and has lead 15 - 14. Pitcher B starts the 5th inning gives up 2 runs so at the end of 5 it is 15-16. Pitcher b pitches the 6 th inning we score 3 so pitcher B is now winning 18 to 16. Pitcher A comes back and starts the 7th inning nether team scores.

So Pitcher A should get a save and sV% should be 100 since only save chance.
Picther B should get blown save (or is there no blown save scored?) and a Win right?

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I'm not an expert on the definition of blown saves and have never tracked them myself in softball ... while this was a potential save opportunity had she pitched the last 3 innings and maintained the lead, I don't think that any relief pitcher who comes in with the lead and gives it up gets a blown save. Will have to look to someone else to answer this for sure.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Pitcher A pitches 4 inning and has lead 15 - 14.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if that's the score after 4 innings, and this is not a 10U game, I would have other worries than who got credit for the win. Not saying this is pitching, defense, or what, but some aspect of the team needs some work.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Don't take this the wrong way, but if that's the score after 4 innings, and this is not a 10U game, I would have other worries than who got credit for the win. Not saying this is pitching, defense, or what, but some aspect of the team needs some work.

Welcome to freshman softball ;) In their defense it was insanely windy and not all in the same direction. It was an exciting game. Don't let my DD hear me nut I like when they hit and score. Well only when she is not pitching ;)

5/3/14 Waubonsie Freshman 2014 at Bolingbrook
Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R H E LOB
Waubonsie Freshman 2014 2 3 2 4 4 3 0 18 16 6 5
Bolingbrook 0 3 3 8 2 0 0 16 16 5 8
W: #9 Maggie K
L: #12 Alexandra P
SV: #15 Alyssa M

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL

Welcome to freshman softball ;) In their defense it was insanely windy and not all in the same direction. It was an exciting game. Don't let my DD hear me but I like when they hit and score. Well only when she is not pitching ;)

Waub_vs_Bol.jpg

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks but does B get a blown save also?
Yes. Any relief pitcher that enters in a save situation and surrenders the lead is charged with a blown save.

FWIW, this happens in MLB with set-up pitchers in the 7th or 8th inning even though they were not going to finish the game to get the save. It's misleading when people cite the number of saves a team has blown while talking about their closer(s).

If I were king, I would track these as blown holds instead of blown saves. I would also make it harder for a reliever to earn a W after blowing a lead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors