Scorekeeping issues:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
1) Fielders Choice
2) Double
3) Single with an error

With a little "home cooking" on the score book you could count all three as a hit.

Mar 31, 2014
doublenickle,, for your FC, do you award the hitter a base hit or do you punish the hitter for executing a squeeze with an AB/FC?

For second scenario, does it matter if ball is off fence, the runner is going to 2b without breaking stride or is the throw to you more significant?

It is a fielders choice because the fielder opted to flip the ball home instead of getting the out at first and the batter would be credited with a sacrifice.

Mar 31, 2014
Second scenario should be scored a single because the throw was thrown to the cut who was aligned with third base and defensive indifference was the reason the player advanced to second. The defense was set up to try and get the out at home, they weren't worried about the batter advancing past first.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Reading is over rated so I'll just ignore the NCAA scorekeeping guidelines and change my answer to:

HR
HR
HR

But, if my DD was the pitcher it would be

K
K
K

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
I posted this topic on one of the websites I moderate but thought it would be ok to post here as well.

1st scenario:

Runner on 3rd. One out. #4 batter hitting. Squeeze play. Ball is bunted down, pitcher fields ball, flips to catcher but really no play. No one expected this hitter to bunt let alone squeeze. 2B is caught off guard and does not even cover first base.

How do you rule this for the hitter?

Second scenario:

Runner on 1st. #4 hits ball off of fence in left center gap. R1 rounds 2b and heads for 3b. Hitter heads for 2B and does not break stride. CF throws ball to cut which is aligned with 3B.

How do you score this?

3rd Scenario:

Hitter #4 hits a screaming line drive up the middle and sinking. CF charges in and dives for the ball. Ball is in glove but comes out on contact with the ground. Hitter ends up at 2B.

How do you score this.

Scenario 1:

If a preceding runner had been put out this would be a FC. With no preceding runner put out the question becomes would the batter/runner have been safe or out. She would have been safe since no one was covering first. A base hit is credited to the batter when she advances to a base safely when no one covers the base or a fielder is late in covering the base.

Hit.

Scenario 2:

Would she have reached second with no runners on? If so, it's a double.

Scenario 3:

This doesn't sound like a routine play.

Double

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283