SCN1B vs SCN4B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2015
Considering buying an old school bat on eBay for DD('s). 10&12. They are Currently swinging Easton FS series.

I'm interested in any community thoughts on the 1b vs the 4b.
Does the one piece sting on the miss hits but provide more pop otherwise?

Does the 4b two piece have any longevity issues.

I've haven't ever seen any concerns about these designs with the exception of not being legal for U-trip. What does the end of life look like for these bats?

Our Offseason training regimen requires aporoximately 3000 live hits(realistically will be closer to 5000), any concerns with this volume of hits on either bat.

Would you consider either of these over a CF8?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2011
You'd be spoiling them! In short, the 1b is practically indestructable and gets extremely hot. The 4b does usually develop a wobble, but many believe it is the hottest fast pitch bat ever. They are listed #1 and #2 on one sites greatest bats ever. I've never been able to find an affordable 4b��
Neither can be used in USSSA.
If you are wanting durability the 1B is the choice and actually needs 1000s of hits to reach its potential. DD is an Easton Girl so we haven't used the CF8 but there's no way it's as durable as the 1B.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Considering buying an old school bat on eBay for DD('s). 10&12. They are Currently swinging Easton FS series.

I'm interested in any community thoughts on the 1b vs the 4b.
Does the one piece sting on the miss hits but provide more pop otherwise?

Does the 4b two piece have any longevity issues.

I've haven't ever seen any concerns about these designs with the exception of not being legal for U-trip. What does the end of life look like for these bats?

Our Offseason training regimen requires aporoximately 3000 live hits(realistically will be closer to 5000), any concerns with this volume of hits on either bat.

Would you consider either of these over a CF8?

Thanks

My DD has an SCN1B and LOVES it....but I would not recommend using it for off season training. My DD uses hers as a game bat only since it cannot be easily replaced if broken.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You'd be spoiling them! In short, the 1b is practically indestructable and gets extremely hot. The 4b does usually develop a wobble, but many believe it is the hottest fast pitch bat ever. They are listed #1 and #2 on one sites greatest bats ever. I've never been able to find an affordable 4b��
Neither can be used in USSSA.
If you are wanting durability the 1B is the choice and actually needs 1000s of hits to reach its potential. DD is an Easton Girl so we haven't used the CF8 but there's no way it's as durable as the 1B.

DD also has an SCN6B and while it is a good bat, it has developed a slight wobble between the barrel and the handle so some umpires will pull it during bat checks.

Aug 30, 2011
DE
For that age group a 1B is amazing. My DD had a 30/20 in 10U. They just don't wear out at that age. I wouldn't waste time on a 4b. Hard to find and pretty spendy. They'll usually develop a wobble when they start getting hot and most umps will toss them for that.

Jan 24, 2009
Get a 1B. Once upon a time I would have taken a 4B over a 1B. Not any more. Times have changed. If you are considering these bats, you probably play mostly ASA. Both are still legal in ASA and high school, not in USSSA or NSA. While both the 1B and 4B are "legal" in ASA and HS, the reality is that umpires look for any reason whatsoever to confiscate the 4B. One such reason to remove the 4B from play seems to be that it is a 4B. They seem to be routinely removed out of habit these days, at least the very few that still show up. Many get appropriately tossed for good reason too, but IMO the inspectors usually throw the baby out with the bath water, and the good ones go too.
On the other hand, the 1B doesn't have the reputation, the history of "those ALWAYS get tossed", like lingers over the 4B. The 1B seems to be treated like any other bat by umpires. If there isn't a reason to remove it, it stays. With the 1B and 4B being equals performance-wise, it makes more sense to grab the 1B. As a bonus, it can handle an unlimited amount of 12 yo swings jppries. It just keeps getting better.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Question, and not to take away from jppries' original question....how much better is a SCN1B than a SRV4B ?? And would a 10/12 year old be able to tell a difference? Seems like the SRV4B is more readily available. Our 14U team played in a 16/18U showcase in Waltersboro, SC several weeks back and there was a 16U team (we never played them) that had (3) SCN1B's that the entire team used, on one of them there was no color left on the sweet spot of the barrel.

Just curious how those 2 one piece bats stack up against each other?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has an SCN1B and LOVES it....but I would not recommend using it for off season training. My DD uses hers as a game bat only since it cannot be easily replaced if broken.

For the record, DD's SCN1B has officially been named "Excalibur"....
excalibur_by_epar3d-d4zf7eq.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1