Schutt Scorpion Catchers Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Anyone using it? Looks pretty good.

My dd has the full set. She loves the leg guards, the gel inserts are great, and last a long time. The helmet is pretty decent, light, and easy to adjust. The chest protector is also light and fits well. The only thing my dd hates, is that it uses velcro for the straps. The ends of the straps started curling like paper after about 6 mos, and would expose the velcro. Because the velcro fastens on the sides, her forearms would get a little raw from blocking; rubbing on the velcro. Also the velcro stopped staying attached very well. Every time she would block, her arm would rub on it just enough to make it come undone. If they made it would plastic connectors like most, I'd think it would be tops. My dd now uses another brand chest protector provided by the team.

Jul 26, 2010
Shin guards and helmet are very nice, the chest protector is nice, but like absdad said, it uses velcro. Velcro is a blessing and a curse, it's easier to get on fast but the straps do curl a bit. Unless she's catching girls throwing 60, I'd remove the "extra" shoulder and toe pads. My catcher loves the knee/gel inserts in the shin guards, very comfy.

-W

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just got dd the chest protector a month ago. I wish I would have ordered last summer, a lot of online shops were sold out, the lowest price was about $20 higher than last summer. I could see the problem of the straps curling down the road. It looks like something out of The Terminator.

I just bought my dd a set she plays 16U Travel and tournament and she loves it, said it is easy to move around like you don't have alot of bulkiness to it. She said the helmet is not bad, light in weight and good vision, but she is thinking about an upgrade to that with foul tips,etc..., to me it just doesn't seem real durable???? Personal opinion!!!!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Take the time to frequently scrub brush the dirt out of the velcro or it won't hold at all in the future.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd did not like the Schutt gear at all. She didn't like the way it looked and she thought the chest protector and helmet were uncomfortable. It truly is a matter of preference though. If possible, have your dd try on different gear if possible and let her decide.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
DD Loves everything but the chest protector. Her first day without sleeves tore up her inside forearms on blocks-rubbing against the velcro. She thought it was great having velcro and the overall upgrades (bungee mask straps, etc) until that time she didn't need her sleeves. Not sure how Colorado in June or Vegas in July will work, but she must have forearm protection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan