Schutt Scorpion Catcher's Gear Update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
One of the things I enjoy about attending Kansas City's NSC Coach's Clinic every year is checking out the new stuff! I have been honored to represent Vinci locally at the event and had the opportunity to visit with some wonderful coaches... But I love to check out the new catcher's gear! I haven't seen much change other than colors for Mizuno and Allstar, Easton is not represented at this event. Schutt has taken the feedback they have received to make their catcher's gear top contenders. Gone is the velcro that curled and scratched... gone are the gel pads that came loose and shifted. Gone are the round knee caps on the shin guards. Schutt's latest offerings features quick snap clips on the highly vented chest protectors, a diamond patterned flat abdomen to direct blocked pitches and keep them in front of the catcher... squared knee caps on the shin guards to better direct balls ricocheting pitches in the dirt... The patella padding has the thickest D30 padding I have yet to see and are extremely cushy. Schutt is even coming up with some new colors!
IMG_0677.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0675.JPGIMG_0676.jpg

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Love their shins, but I personally don't feel their chest protector offers enough protection. This is perhaps not based on current related data, but one of my son's first chest protectors (3 years ago), was the baseball version of this. He told me it didn't stop the pain, but me being the jack wagon dad that I am, told him he needed to, and I quote, "suck it up". The day after one of his catching instructions, he showed me the bruises on his chest and stomach. I felt like a, well, you get the idea.

Perhaps they've updated the material, but it was way to spongy; almost like Nerf. His Rawlings 950 disperses the shock so much better. Perhaps this is a baseball/softball translation issue, but I didn't take any chances with my daughter and have her in the 950 as well.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My DD has only been using the new Schutt AiR Maxx gear for a couple of pitching practices over the past week. The Triple Flex leg guard she loves, says they're very comfortable and a big step up from her old Easton's. They do seem to shift around on her leg quite a bit but hopefully we can get that sorted. The CP 15" is a bit big on her right now but they don't offer a 14 and the 13" is too small so we're working on a way to cinch it up a bit for now (she's in a growth spurt so it won't be a problem for long). Color options are somewhat limited (they don't offer the black/grey combo anymore). The new TPU padding in the neck/collarbone area is good stuff and should really help cushioning. Overall the design, padding and shape is a good move forward.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like that Schutt is continuing to evolve their gear. Good job!

My 10yo DD has been using a Scorpion chest and S3 legs for the past 6+ months. It's been pretty good - light, good protection. The only real issue has been the legs wanting to constantly twist around, which causes her to have to re-adjust them regularly. Being that she is growing the way 10yo girls do, her Schutt gear is too small already. We are going to give the All-Star gear a try this time around.

Oct 10, 2011
DD loves the her Scorpion gear that we bought last year but could use that new padding on her knees this weekend. She got hit right on the knee with a pitch last Sunday and it looks disgusting. Tomorrow she's visiting a college and they want to see her catching so I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD loves the her Scorpion gear that we bought last year but could use that new padding on her knees this weekend. She got hit right on the knee with a pitch last Sunday and it looks disgusting. Tomorrow she's visiting a college and they want to see her catching so I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

With arm bruises, they wear short sleeves to show them off, but I don't know if showing up for a workout in shorts to show off a bruised knee is worth the risk. ;-)
Lay on the Biofreeze, and good luck.

Oct 10, 2011
biofreeze

With arm bruises, they wear short sleeves to show them off, but I don't know if showing up for a workout in shorts to show off a bruised knee is worth the risk. ;-)
Lay on the Biofreeze, and good luck.
Thanks for the tip. .. we've never used Biofreeze before.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I really liked the Schutt gear but unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere in our local stores to fit them on DD. We did find Wilson Promotion gear and DD just loves it, but Schutt has definitely been on my radar. Hopefully I can get my hands on a set so DD can try fit it.

Oct 10, 2011
Schutt Scorpion Leg Straps

DD is having issues keeping her leg straps tight on her Schutt Leg gaurds. They keep coming off the loops and I've run them back through but they still keep pulling out. Schutt said they haven't heard that problem before but I did hear one parent wrote they had to tie them into knots. Any other suggestions besides knots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach