Sad Day for Me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well, it's been a heart-wrenching couple of weeks for me.

I've come to the conclusion that it is probably best to dissolve my competitive team. It's due mainly to the fact that two of the three high schools in the area have strong competitive programs making it impossible to keep enough players, particularly when the high school coach asks his high school players to play on their summer competitive teams. As I've said, it's a sort of monopoly. No biggie. I enjoyed doing it, however, and valued my association with the players I gave a chance to.

Also, it was due to my DD deciding that since she was playing varsity this year, she'd better play for the varsity coach on his summer team.

One young girl in particular ("M") would never have made the high school team had I not told her last summer that she needed to become a pitcher to have a chance. Of course, she wanted to, as no one else ever gave her the time of day, due to her lankiness/clumsiness. I saw her long limbs and lankiness as an asset for a pitcher. She and "K" are now the two main pitchers on the freshman-sophomore team. I will continue to work with "M" and "K" as their private pitching coach. I believe that "M" has the most potential. We're going to show them all!

I haven't told my assistant coach yet, as she's off playing college ball. She'll be saddened by this, but maybe we'll start something at a much young age group. Maybe not.

I'm gonna miss the coaching.

Sep 11, 2013
Please share your knowledge and love of the game with the younger girls!! And kudos to you as a parent for your daughter to have the ability to make that choice without fear of hurting your relationship.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
sorry to hear that DR. That's a tough decision to have to make. But look on the bright side, this let's you focus on developing pitchers more, which judging by your posts is what you really enjoy.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
sorry to hear that DR. That's a tough decision to have to make. But look on the bright side, this let's you focus on developing pitchers more, which judging by your posts is what you really enjoy.

I was definitely proud of "M" and "K" this past weekend. Sure, they were a bit like deer in the headlights, and their coaches tried to meddle with their pitching mechanics, but these two are committed to doing what is necessary to become better. I do love being a "pitching coach," although I don't meet the pitching coach standards of some here. I am somewhat addicted to learning more, and love it when I run into the stuff that just hits me as pure truth. We all know who the pitching gods are around here. It's been a real pleasure to get to know some of them, and I hope to develop a closer friendship with them.

I'll get over my sorrow.....someday.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Open up the doors and start teaching! Keep learning, teaching and giving kids what you know they can't get anywhere else.

Mar 26, 2013
This day was going to come eventually with this team, it just came sooner than you had hoped. The good news is you have options due to your ability.

How many of the girls on your team, DD included, want to play in college? Are the HS teams going to provide the exposure they need? If not, how are they going to get it?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Doug,
I know that I have learned quite a bit from you inside this forum. That is why I can confidently say the girls from your team are in a better place today because of your guidance. It is clear that you are a coach that truly cares about his players and they will not forget that.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That sucks... an area High School has started a summer team recently and luckily for us/my team, it looks like only 2 of the 5 I have from that school plan to participate with them. Unfortunately, one of the girls is my cannon pitcher! Such is life...
Feelin your pain, James

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
DR, one thing I've learned is that the fastpitch coaches that truly love the game never really leave, even when their DD's stop playing. I can't tell you how often I speak with dads who used to coach their DD's TB teams say they wish they were still coaching! And there are always opportunities to coach. Once my DD aged up to 14U, I stopped coaching her team and picked up a younger team in the same organization. I have to admit I was more relaxed coaching kids that didn't share my last name, and I loved being just a dad again watching DD play. I know it's a hard decision, but I respect you and your DD for knowing when it's time to move on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd