Runner out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Bret and others. I noticed this picture on an ASA site and thought it was a good learning tool. I noticed the 1st baseman's position and although legal, she could have used her right foot and been completely out of the way of the runner. But, I also noticed that the runner is on the line and doesn't appear to be going to hit the safety base.

If the runner collides with the first baseman, and you were the ump in the picture, would you call her out for interference?

th_12Urunner.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
(In the picture, are the bases laid "backwards"? It looks like the colored bag is in fair territory and the white is over foul ground. With respect to my answer, and which base is being touched, assume the base is properly laid.)

Looks like the fielder is touching the white base and that is an entirely legal position for her to be in.

If this runner collides with her, would it be interference? Kind of hard to tell from the picture. It really depends on what happens in the next few steps that the picture doesn't show. It looks like the runner has plenty of room to reach the base she's required to reach. If the runner were to touch only the white base and collide with this legally positioned fielder, then interference would be the call. But you'd have to see the next few instants of the play that the picture doesn't provide.

With respect to the running lane...there may be a potential running lane violation here. Again, can't tell from the picture. A runner isn't out just for running out of the lane alone. She has to be out of the lane AND interfere with the fielder taking the throw. We don't know if that will happen yet!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wish I knew if first even had the ball, but I am going to use this picture to show my students several things that could go wrong and how to correct them.

Another thought. If 1st does not have the ball, she is in a good position to obstruct the runner, if she goes to 2nd.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Careful with the "wrong leg on the bag" statement. You don't know that isn't the second baseman running over to cover on a bunt and just got there in time.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If that is the 2nd baseman, she is in the totally wrong position. But, that does give me something else to point out. (Perhaps the throw is late.)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I printed it out as an 8X10, to use as a hand out.

Bret! The bases are backwards. Ha.

Also, in my original photo the right fielder is in motion and nearing the line, to back up the play.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Amy, I think the first baseman is a lefty, in which case I think she has the correct foot on the bag. Even if she were a righty, if the throw is coming from near homeplate (as on a bunt) we teach our players covering first to use their left foot on the bag to provide a better throwing lane from the fielder. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this given that you are a first baseman. Thanks.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
she is clearly running inside of the lane, I would call her out for interference. Runner is obligated to stay in the running lane

No, that's not true. Runner can go anywhere. Staying in the lane only exempts the runner from a call if she interferes with the fielder taking the throw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors