Run Forrest....Run!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
12YO DD was recently clocked at tryouts running home to 1st base averaging around 3.10 (right handed batters box, swing and go). I think she is leaving some room for improvement (she tends to run flat footed and not much forward lean). So I recently researched good sprinting techniques and some common themes emerged:

•Run on balls of feet
•More steps, shorter stride
•Lean a little forward
•Arms at 90 degree angles
•Pump arms
•Look straight ahead

We haven't had a chance to work on these areas but she has had 4 weeks of team conditioning and hopefully they are teaching some of these techniques?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
ATHLETIC STRENGTH AND POWER: Speed Development
So I recently researched good sprinting techniques and some common themes emerged:

•Run on balls of feet
More steps, shorter stride
•Lean a little forward

•Arms at 90 degree angles
Pump arms
•Look straight ahead

We haven't had a chance to work on these areas but she has had 4 weeks of team conditioning and hopefully they are teaching some of these techniques?

More steps, shorter stride: Only coming out of the blocks (or box in this case). As acceleration continues, the strides should be getting longer.

Lean a little forward: Again, only at the outset. Watch videos of Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, Usain Bolt. They all get up tall after the launch. Do that by driving the hips forward as soon as possible. It feels funny initially, but the speed gains are ridiculous.

Pump arms: Say rather "drive" the arms; like I said earlier, imagine trying to hammer a nail into a board behind you.

My source is Kevin McNair, who was our speed coach in HS for football and track n field. If you read about his teaching (covered here: McNair), you'll read that lift (getting tall) happens at around 10 yards. He coached, however, that you should strive to get there as soon as possible. I wasn't the fastest guy in HS, and at 5'5", 165lbs I shouldn't have been - but no one could beat me for the 1st 10-20 yards, not even Eric Bieniemy, whom I ran the 100 against and played football against. That was because I could get up tall very quickly. I ran a 4.57 40yd in HS because of McNair. I only say these things as references for my opinions being offered here. Take it or leave it, YMMV and all that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi