rules for calling pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Is there any rule that states who, or where from a pitch can be called? A non coach was calling pitches from behind the backstop in the bleachers and was instructed that this was not allowed, and he was asked to move from behind the backstop.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is there any rule that states who, or where from a pitch can be called? A non coach was calling pitches from behind the backstop in the bleachers and was instructed that this was not allowed, and he was asked to move from behind the backstop.

umpire positioning has nothing to do with the rules. Sounds to me like if you wanted him to umpire, you cannot be too choosy about where he elects to stand. Of course, you could always volunteer :)

Mar 15, 2014
I assume you mean someone was giving signs to the pitcher as to what pitch to throw from behind the backstop--am I correct???
A pitcher is supposed to take her signs from the catcher, although I often will give a signal to my pitcher from the dugout as to which pitch to throw.
A parent doing this from behind the backstop is a distraction and the umpire has every right to ask him to move.
Better yet, the coach should have put an end to this nonsense in the first place.
Better fields have the backstop inaccessible to fans, or at lest have a sign or tarp to prevent someone from watching the game there.

Last edited:
I assume you mean someone was giving signs to the pitcher as to what pitch to throw from behind the backstop--am I correct???
CORRECT
A pitcher is supposed to take her signs from the catcher, although I often will give a signal to my pitcher from the dugout as to which pitch to throw.
A parent doing this from behind the backstop is a distraction and the umpire has every right to ask him to move.
Better yet, the coach should have put an end to this nonsense in the first place.
Better fields have the backstop inaccessible to fans, or at lest have a sign or tarp to prevent someone from watching the game there.

ok, but what if there are bleachers behind the backstop, or for instance, the pitcher is taking signs from a spectator sitting either in bleachers or along the 1st or 3rd base lines?

is there a specific rule against it? or is it up to the umpire to determine if it is a distraction?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
umpire positioning has nothing to do with the rules. Sounds to me like if you wanted him to umpire, you cannot be too choosy about where he elects to stand. Of course, you could always volunteer :)

Okay, being an umpire, I obviously went to the side of making a call on the pitch. AFA giving signals to the pitcher, it can come from Mars if they would like.

The umpire has no authority to direct the fans and if you think about it, why would anyone care whether the pitcher looks to the dugout, the catcher or the concession booth. There is NO advantage other than getting into the heads of the opposition.

The only issue is between the coach and the non-coach of the same team. Now, if it were a coach, then the umpire could direct that individual to return to the team area

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

To my knowledge there is nothing in the rules stating from where pitching signals must originate. Many confuse this with the rule stating to the effect that the pitcher must receive or simulate receiving the signal while on the rubber as part of the pitch process. There is a rule that defensive coaches must remain in the dugout the dugout. But I cannot recall a rule that requires all coaches to be in the dugout or forbids the action you describe.

Jun 22, 2008
As MTR stated, signals can be given from anywhere. But, all team personel are required to be in the team area, neither players or coaches are allowed to be in the stands. If it is obvious someone in the stands is giving signals, I personally would consider this to be the actions of a coach and instruct them to get into the team area. That being said, it better be pretty obvious because Im not going to go out of my way to try and figure out if the pitchers eyes are on the catcher or someone behind the backstop.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Comp, you answered what I was thinking - all coaches have to be in the team area.

My guess is the HC probably doesn't want whoever was calling the pitches anywhere near the dugout, and resents the person in the stands for calling pitches. But that's a whole separate issue.

Mar 15, 2014
ok, but what if there are bleachers behind the backstop, or for instance, the pitcher is taking signs from a spectator sitting either in bleachers or along the 1st or 3rd base lines?

is there a specific rule against it? or is it up to the umpire to determine if it is a distraction?
No rule against it.
And unless a fan is drunk and/or disorderly the umpire should ignore him--and all other fans.

May 9, 2014
I wonder what age group this is in.

While I don't call pitches (she only has a fastball and changeup and the changeup is still only used in practice), I give corrections for my daughter from the dugout, she needs a little help at 8 and the catcher can't really be much of a help. If this is in 12U or higher I would be more concerned, but in 8 or 10U, I think its just possible that the catcher isn't knowledgeable enough?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole