Riseball and the Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Wonder if masks have the same impact on not being able to make drop balls drop?

Nov 3, 2012
So why does everybody question if a riseball really rises, but I hear people say (maybe more in baseball) that a knuckleball dances, and nobody questions that? Does a dancing knuckleball mean it goes up and and down or Rise and then switch directions down. From a physics perspective this seems even more impossible.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So why does everybody question if a riseball really rises, but I hear people say (maybe more in baseball) that a knuckleball dances, and nobody questions that? Does a dancing knuckleball mean it goes up and and down or Rise and then switch directions down. From a physics perspective this seems even more impossible.

Search pobguy on DFP and you will find your knuckleball answer

ETA Link to Dr. Nathan's website and Knuckleball Research http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/knuckleball.html

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Search pobguy on DFP and you will find your knuckleball answer

ETA Link to Dr. Nathan's website and Knuckleball Research Knuckleball Research

Just goes to show that great pitchers are the ones who can confound expectations and perceptions of the batter through spin or lack of spin. I have noticed that if I don't watch my DD's pitches to the glove, sometimes the ball seems to move abruptly a few feet out and that is my eyes playing tricks, not the ball actually moving that abruptly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00