Rise ball questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Just like any pitch that is low is a drop to some, any pitch that is high is rise to some, and any pitch that is outside is a curve to some.

Others at least like to pretend spin matters when labelling a pitch 😉

Aug 21, 2008
Never stepped in the box in fastpitch but would the step left be something a batter could pick up early enough to help them?
OMG YES. Keeping in mind the pitcher is probably doing significant tells before the step to the left giving even further advanced notice that pitch is coming.

I bet the majority reading this rarely pay much attention. Personally for me, I can't NOT see things. I'm sure RAD is the same way. When I go to a game, I cannot stop picking things apart in my brain. Seeing things pitchers are doing, or hitters are doing. It makes just going to a game for fun virtually impossible. LOL. However, I bet so many reading this would be astonished if they paid attention instead of just watching. You'll see pitchers get their grip before going into their glove. You'll see pitchers slow the entire body on change ups. Watch the slap hitters to see what bat they're using, one to punch the ball or one for a "power slap". Things like that. These are things I cannot unsee when I go to a game, any game. And to me, it's like reading See Spot Run. And it probably would be for many on this forum, by seeing what's happening.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
A lot of the old timers on this board are more concerned with being “right” than engaging in discussion or being helpful.
I'm guessing this is a veiled shot across my bow. I think the most difficult part is being called an "old timer". LOL. I turn 50 in June, only then will I be an old timer! That's when I officially qualify for the Master's divisions.

Look, if you want to step left and throw it right while calling it a "screwball" go ahead. In the softball world, that's considered normal for some reason. Yet, you'd never see a baseball coach tell his pitching student "You step this way for your fastball, then way over here for your curveball". That coach would be laughed out of the game. But in softball it's "normal". And it's a travesty. It's a travesty because it leads young pitchers to believe they are doing something they aren't. Why not just call all inside pitches "screwballs"? Of course I'm talking RHP with RHB. Simply throwing a pitch inside doesn't mean it moved that way. And yes, sometimes throwing a 2 seam pitch can cut inward. However, there's other issues with throwing 2 seams but lets stay on point.

The video posted earlier of the pitcher throwing the curveball is exceptional. But, throwing a curve in softball falls in line with what the body can do. Whether you throw it with the palm up or turn the hand overtop of the ball (which I wouldn't recommend) putting sidespin for a curve is possible. Putting sidespin for a "screwball" isn't possible. The best you can hope for is bullet spin and angle the pitch inward. And again, if you wanna discuss the benefits of pitching inside I'm all for it. But the amount of things being done to throw this faux pitch can be detrimental to developing other pitches.

Oct 14, 2019
I'm guessing this is a veiled shot across my bow. I think the most difficult part is being called an "old timer". LOL. I turn 50 in June, only then will I be an old timer! That's when I officially qualify for the Master's divisions.

Look, if you want to step left and throw it right while calling it a "screwball" go ahead. In the softball world, that's considered normal for some reason. Yet, you'd never see a baseball coach tell his pitching student "You step this way for your fastball, then way over here for your curveball". That coach would be laughed out of the game. But in softball it's "normal". And it's a travesty. It's a travesty because it leads young pitchers to believe they are doing something they aren't. Why not just call all inside pitches "screwballs"? Of course I'm talking RHP with RHB. Simply throwing a pitch inside doesn't mean it moved that way. And yes, sometimes throwing a 2 seam pitch can cut inward. However, there's other issues with throwing 2 seams but lets stay on point.

The video posted earlier of the pitcher throwing the curveball is exceptional. But, throwing a curve in softball falls in line with what the body can do. Whether you throw it with the palm up or turn the hand overtop of the ball (which I wouldn't recommend) putting sidespin for a curve is possible. Putting sidespin for a "screwball" isn't possible. The best you can hope for is bullet spin and angle the pitch inward. And again, if you wanna discuss the benefits of pitching inside I'm all for it. But the amount of things being done to throw this faux pitch can be detrimental to developing other pitches.
No, I think you give good advice and are knowledgeable about your craft. We’ve learned a lot about pitching from this thread. Didn’t even know our first instructor was hello elbow until reading the pitching threads on DFP. I’m referring more to posters who attack like vultures any time a newcomer asks an innocent question. You have always been civil and appear to have a genuine interest in helping others.

Jun 8, 2016
I bet the majority reading this rarely pay much attention. Personally for me, I can't NOT see things. I'm sure RAD is the same way. When I go to a game, I cannot stop picking things apart in my brain.
you just described me watching my kid play 😕

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
OMG YES. Keeping in mind the pitcher is probably doing significant tells before the step to the left giving even further advanced notice that pitch is coming.

I bet the majority reading this rarely pay much attention. Personally for me, I can't NOT see things. I'm sure RAD is the same way. When I go to a game, I cannot stop picking things apart in my brain. Seeing things pitchers are doing, or hitters are doing. It makes just going to a game for fun virtually impossible. LOL. However, I bet so many reading this would be astonished if they paid attention instead of just watching. You'll see pitchers get their grip before going into their glove. You'll see pitchers slow the entire body on change ups. Watch the slap hitters to see what bat they're using, one to punch the ball or one for a "power slap". Things like that. These are things I cannot unsee when I go to a game, any game. And to me, it's like reading See Spot Run. And it probably would be for many on this forum, by seeing what's happening.
I see it
I know it
Its in my dna now 👍

Pitch it! 😁

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Maybe it's called a screwball because when you step left and throw right, look like a screwball doing it LOL.
Only teasing do what works and be confident doing it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00