reverting to last inning's score

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Bchbum54 and Rocketech1,

I've seen a coach burn time by substituting the catcher. They only had one set of equipment, so it ate a good 5 or 8 minutes for one catcher to get the gear off and the new catcher to get it on.

I don't like that but about 20 minutes before no new inning some coaches will either start slowing the game down such as no big hurry to warm-up between innings, an occasional conference with the pitcher, etc. or speed it up if behind in the game.

The only time I ever felt somewhat bad about using the clock to my advantage was when I had my baserunner leave base early and the batter purposefully strikeout so that the inning would be complete and not revert back to the previous inning when we were losing. That win gave us the #1 seeding and we ended up winning the tournament.

Again, I don't like timed games but if you are a coach you need to consider time management as one of many factors during the game.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
That's the old infamous "drop dead, revert back" ... which is probably the only thing worse than just plain old drop dead ... where when the clock runs out, the game is over and the score is what it is (so when you win the coin flip, take "visitors"!). This game was not meant to be played with a clock ... but unfortunately that is too often the case. "Finish the inning" is always better than drop dead in my opinion ...

Jun 29, 2013
We don't do the drop dead rule here, except in the mid-season tournament that they have during pool play. We do have the no new inning after a certain time period. The real a-hole coaches run the clock out on the weaker team by only advancing one base at a time on clear extra base hits, even when they are ahead by more than 4 and can't possibly lose. The losing team doesn't get an exta at-bat, often leaving them with someone who doesn't get to hit in the game (and we bat the entire lineup.)
The rules are all well-intended to keep games competitive, but they lead to ridiculous abuses by some teams that counteract all the good they are supposed to bring. Another dumb rule we do: no standings for 8u, no scores posted. In theory this proves the league isn't all about competitiveness at 8U, but in reality everyone knows the scores and the teams have no shame in winning 16-0, nor anything to hold them accountable. I've always thought if you want to keep things competitive like they do in soccer, then apply soccer rules and call the coaches in to face the "tribunal" (my term for a meeting with the disciplinary committee) when they're running up the score in obvious routes. Or, better yet, just play it like they do in baseball and don't whine when you're hitter gets a high and tight fastball when you're still running up 15-0.

Feb 7, 2013
We don't do the drop dead rule here, except in the mid-season tournament that they have during pool play. We do have the no new inning after a certain time period. The real a-hole coaches run the clock out on the weaker team by only advancing one base at a time on clear extra base hits, even when they are ahead by more than 4 and can't possibly lose. The losing team doesn't get an exta at-bat, often leaving them with someone who doesn't get to hit in the game (and we bat the entire lineup.)
The rules are all well-intended to keep games competitive, but they lead to ridiculous abuses by some teams that counteract all the good they are supposed to bring. Another dumb rule we do: no standings for 8u, no scores posted. In theory this proves the league isn't all about competitiveness at 8U, but in reality everyone knows the scores and the teams have no shame in winning 16-0, nor anything to hold them accountable. I've always thought if you want to keep things competitive like they do in soccer, then apply soccer rules and call the coaches in to face the "tribunal" (my term for a meeting with the disciplinary committee) when they're running up the score in obvious routes. Or, better yet, just play it like they do in baseball and don't whine when you're hitter gets a high and tight fastball when you're still running up 15-0.

I have never had a problem with a team playing hard against my team and scoring a lot of runs. If I can't coach my players to stop the other team than I take full blame for not preparing my team properly to be competitive.

I will never forget the time in a 10u rec game when we were up by 8 runs and I had one of my players attempt a bunt because she had never tried it in a game. Well after the game the other manager confronts me, implying that we were running up the score and trying to embarrass his team. I told him about the girl's inexperience bunting and we were practicing it in the game. He finally calmed down and got it.

Never blame the other team for you lack of defense. You play hard no matter the score. No hurt feelings.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I was umpiring an intra-league game for our league last week. Both managers agreed to go no new inning after 1:40 (normally it is drop-dead at 1:40, but we had time, and these were 14u teams), finish the inning. At 1:38, the designated "visiting" team came up to bat down 7 runs. I foolishly began contemplating at which local watering hole I would soon deposit my hard-earned umpire fee. Alas, it was not to be. The home team inserted a new pitcher and it was like batting practice for the visitors. They scored 14 runs before the bleeding was stopped. As the teams were changing sides, one of the coaches from the visiting team came out to ask "isn't it drop-dead time yet?" I reminded him that was not what they had agreed to at the beginning, but I'm sure the home team manager would be more than happy to change it now, as this would cause the score to revert back to what it was before they scored 14 runs. Surprisingly, he didn't offer that to the home-team manager.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Funny thing about playing the clock that way. The message you send to your team is "I don't think we're good enough to beat this team straight-up."

I did it once. After that I decided we would stand or fall based on our ability to play the game, not my ability to manipulate the clock.

Jun 29, 2013
I have never had a problem with a team playing hard against my team and scoring a lot of runs. If I can't coach my players to stop the other team than I take full blame for not preparing my team properly to be competitive.

I will never forget the time in a 10u rec game when we were up by 8 runs and I had one of my players attempt a bunt because she had never tried it in a game. Well after the game the other manager confronts me, implying that we were running up the score and trying to embarrass his team. I told him about the girl's inexperience bunting and we were practicing it in the game. He finally calmed down and got it.

Never blame the other team for you lack of defense. You play hard no matter the score. No hurt feelings.

That's all fine and good when you have two teams that are evenly matched, age and talent wise. When you have one team full of 8 year olds with experience, playing another made up of 6-7 year olds with none, then sportsmanship matters. You don't ever try to prevent another RECREATIONAL team from getting all their kids an at bat in a blowout, under any circumstances. Ever. It isn't teaching your team anything, it isn't teaching the other team anything, it's just being an ahole.
As for playing hard, no question that's appropriate. But I find it somewhat amusing that softball seems to be the one sport where coaches can't teach sportsmanship in a blowout. If there is zero chance of a loss, don't embarrass the other team just because you can, it's that simple. Don't try to tell me kids will learn bad habits, they aren't stupid and they can see as easily as anyone else what's going on. In football, basketball, baseball, and even slow pitch softball no team has a problem laying off the gas when the game is out of hand. No, football teams don't lay down after a five yard gain, but they also aren't running fake punts when their up by 40, or throwing a bomb in the last minute of a blowout. Run when you're up by 10 in a baseball game and the next hitter gets drilled in the ribs. We don't do that in softball and I'm not advocating we should, but we can all use a little common sense in the right situation.

Feb 7, 2013
Funny thing about playing the clock that way. The message you send to your team is "I don't think we're good enough to beat this team straight-up."

I did it once. After that I decided we would stand or fall based on our ability to play the game, not my ability to manipulate the clock.

Using the clock is "playing the game" when you have time limits. Clock management is part of basketball, football, other sports why not use it to your advantage in softball when games are timed. Pretty much every game we play in softball and baseball around here involves time limits. You adapt to your playing rules and adjust your coaching philosophy accordingly.

Feb 7, 2013
Run when you're up by 10 in a baseball game and the next hitter gets drilled in the ribs. We don't do that in softball and I'm not advocating we should, but we can all use a little common sense in the right situation.

So if a team continues to play hard and score runs after a 10 run lead it's acceptable to throw at the kids ribs? Seems like people's priorities are mixed up.

One season in rec, DD pitched her first no hit shutout. Should I have told her to let up and let a few batters get on base so she doesn't embarrass the other team? Why punish the kids that work hard to achieve some success on the field because someone may get their feelings hurt. The other issue as a coach was I never really was comfortable with a lead even if it was by several runs so I always taught my girls to play hard until the last out. Maybe it's a character flaw of mine, I don't know?

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
I am not used to this process at all. Maybe the rec league has always been this way. But, I don't get it. You are encouraged and sometimes forced to play everyone, equally. But 10U and up are reverting to the last full inning's score, to determine a winner.

There is generally a #1 pitcher who can pitch innings 1 and 2, and then, someone else has to pitch.

Also, runs are limited to 4 per inning.

It is barely even softball anymore.

Wow thats pretty intense I get trying to play everyone but equally too? I guess thats not too bad at a low level but 4 runs per inning? (why not just have a run rule?). I guess player age is part of the scope but seems pretty watered down for sure =/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67