Report on Baylor's failure -- Read it and weap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If the NCAA had a set they would start cleaning house and handing out some death penalties. They could stop this type of stuff very quickly but the truth is that the NCAA is often complicit so long as it is good for business.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
I'm no huge fan of the NCAA and their over regulation in order to maintain their monopoly, but in this case (and every other cover-up case) they should flex every sanctioning muscle they have. It's amazing to me that no criminal charges for obstruction, or at least whistle-blower violations, seem to ever be brought by law enforcement. Baylor, Penn State, Kent State, Florida State etc. the cover-up mentality seems to be prevalent. Once the head coaches, administrators, officials etc. who become aware of allegations and then try to cover them up or just ignore them start getting actual jail time hopefully a change in ideology will start to happen. Right now the worst penalty for cover-up is that someone gets fired. Ken Starr - "reassigned" ironically to head Baylor's Law Department. Giles - with no criminal charges. Paterno - fired with no criminal charges. Karen Linder (Kent) - resigned. I'm sure this disgraceful list goes on and on with just the people who didn't get away with a cover up. If a CFO of a public company covers up financial wrong doing you can bet the IRS, OIC and FBI will be all over that, how is this different? This is certainly concerning for every parent of a current or potential college athlete.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Ironic huh. The sex scandal investigator now being investigated for allowing sex scandal.

Well, Starr always had a bit of a tendency to believe people who told him what he wanted to hear. I knew a prominent Arkansas attorney who had quite a bit of knowledge about the Whitewater fiasco, and Starr wound up wasting years following bad leads because he believed the biggest con man in Arkansas, Jim MacDougal. Even more ironic is that MacDougal could've gotten away with everything if he hadn't tried one last con on Kenneth Starr. The con almost worked, but MacDougal wound up dying in prison.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Watching Starr continue to defend the 'institution' in his interview today was sickening.

Not only that, he clearly hadn't been briefed... so he was totally unaware of what happened, where it happened and well... everything else important. And he apparently is still planning on teaching at the University even though he stepped down as president.

Also the university decided that it was important to include the following in the hire of the new football coach: "Coach Grobe enjoys an impeccable reputation within the intercollegiate athletics community and is a man of great integrity and faith." - cause that has worked for them so well so far.

Lets not forget this was the same school that the whole David Bliss/Carlton Dotson shoots Patrick Dennehy scandal happened in 2003. The one where Bliss was paying Dennehy's tuition, then claimed Dennehy was a drug dealer to pay his tuition, tried to get another players mother to say she paid her son's tuition herself (though it was Dennehy), and then pretended to a players dad to get information and so on...

But hey, it is a great alcohol free religious institution - or so Ken Starr tells us.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
If the NCAA had a set they would start cleaning house and handing out some death penalties. They could stop this type of stuff very quickly but the truth is that the NCAA is often complicit so long as it is good for business.

Yep.

I think the NCAA has devolved and is now no different than any other corporation out there. It's all about the money and when things like this happen, they go into damage control mode and have a bunch of risk assessment/actuaries that run the numbers. Even if this cost them $20M, changing their model to truly being about STUDENT athletes might lose money...so...they'll eat the $20M.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
This article on today's St. Louis news site had a perspective that I appreciate.

http://m.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jose-de-jesus-ortiz/ortiz-baylor-could-have-learned-from-billionaire-patron-mclane/article_b5d77351-88e8-5c74-8653-65841c043cbc.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi