Removingthe starting pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I was wondering at what point do u replace your starting pitcher when they r not on. Do u replace them after so many runs or Walks? We lost 2 games this weekend b/c our starting pitchers allow to many runs in the 1st inning. The games were low scoring. 4 to 3 and 5 to 1. Is it just a gut feeling when to pull them? In one game, the starting pitcher loaded the base before she was pulled. All three walks went to a full counts. In that game, she walked 1st batter, struck out the 2nd, walked the 3rd and 4th. After that, she was pulled.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sep 29, 2014
I think it is ultimately a feeling. Then also as a coach after a while your assistants or parents will start telling you that you either leave your pitchers in too long or pull them too quickly, if it is always consistently one way I would start listening. The other thing is also a matter of what is the context; is it meaningless pool play maybe you are more likely to let a girl see if she can make it through; championship game maybe not so much. The other question is who else do you have (just two pitchers? four?) and do you have another game right after and so on.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02....when my DD struggles in the 1st inning it is usually because she did not throw 100% during warm ups. She would throw 80% in pre-game warm ups, then when she stepped on the rubber in the 1st inning her timing was off. I would recommend throwing a "simulated inning" under close supervision of one of the coaches before the game starts.

Tom Glavine used to have the same problem with the Braves. If he got through the first inning he was fine, but the first inning was always a crap shoot, and he is a Hall-of-Famer!

May 13, 2012
Like Carter said is it pool or bracket and what else do you have. Pool play I will leave them unless they just can't throw a strike period. I want them to learn to make adjustments since it is probably # 2 or #3. This helps them become a better pither down the road. Just don't let it get to a point of humiliation. Bracket play it is gut feeling, can she and the team weather the storm of a bad inning or does that team just have her number. Are the pitches good and batters hitting weakly and finding holes or is she giving up hard shots. What is your goal for that game and that tourny. These are questions and I sure others will have more that you have to decide an answer and that will dictate when or if you pull her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When it's time to pull a pitcher, it's mostly an educated guess based on the pitcher herself, and the surrounding circumstance. I've had some that were hot from the first pitch, some who were slow out of the gate but got better and faster as innings progressed. The "hot" pitcher would normally get a shorter leash than the "slower", if either started digging a hole, for reasons mentioned before.

You NEVER want to put a mandate on when you're going to pull your pitchers. I've known teams that have the 3 walk rule. Well all walks are not created the same.

She could hit 3 batters in a row.
Could walk 3 in 12 straight pitches.
Could be WAY off the plate.
Could be in the dirt.
Could take each batter to a full count, induce 3-4 fouls after that, but just lose the battle.
Ump might not be giving corners, or high low zones for drop/rise.

The reasons for the walk weigh more ( to me ) than the walk itself.

Now the combo, of walks and hits, will get you pulled pretty fast. The pitcher's job is to get outs, notice I didn't say just strikeouts, because playing good competition will generally mean good bats. Strikeouts are great, but pitchers also must learn the art of producing ground balls and pop ups.

You could go to a 4 diamond complex, watch 4 pitchers run into trouble, and each one would be situationally handled differently. ( or should be ) :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Texas
She was just off on the 1st inning. Had a heck of a time getting a strike. 4 batters 3 walks and 1 strikeout. All went to a full count. We had two other pitchers that r effective and ready to go. I am not referring to pool play. This 14u girls. I think if she cannot throw a strike and it seems she is struggling big time. Then I would pull after 2 walks. I would also talk to her to see if warming up more would help her so that possibly we could bring her back next inning. I guess it is a feeling of the coach to gauge whether that pitcher can self correct before being pulled.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it is hard to pull a pitcher in the first inning unless it is just a big train wreck.

She might not pitch in the 2nd but it is hard to pull them in the first.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If you pull her that first inning, I bet she ensures her warm-ups are better down the road. I have given up on being surprised at how many girls say they've done a thorough warm up who then cannot hit the broadside of a barn. Use that time to burn off any excess nerves and such. If she still can't throw a strike, I don't know what to tell you. First innings are typically the roughest while searching for your groove.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors