recruiting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A person 18YOA or older can enter into a valid contract. As to LOIs, the issue is, "How does a school enforce the contract?"

The schools rely on the NCAA (not the courts) to enforce LOIs. The NCAA enforces the rules by prohibiting schools (not the athletes) from using athletes who signed the LOIs with another school. The NCAA actually penalizes any college who uses a player subject to an LOI. The colleges want to avoid penalties, and thus are forced not to sign/play players who are subject to an LOI.

If there is no parent/legal guardian signature, the NCAA simply refuses to enforce the agreement. So, although the LOI technically is a valid contract between the school and the player, the school has no way to enforce an LOI not signed by parents/LGs.

(My bill is in the mail.)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
After receiving an offer, do you let other schools on your short list know that you have received an offer? And if the answer is yes, how in the world do you let them know?? Just seems impossible to do that with any tact. "Hi coach just an fyi that your conference rival made me an offer so unless you want to watch me hit homers all day for the other team I suggest you step up your game and make me an offer asap." I mean no matter how you phrase it, that's what it is going to sound like, right? Do travel ball coaches make these calls like some sort of realtor advising everyone to put their best offers on the table because a decsion is coming soon? I cannot imagine that that would be well received.

When you started talking to the schools on your short list they likely asked where your DD was in the recruiting process and maybe even asked to let them know when she’s considering another offer right? They’re looking at other players and they know you’re looking at other schools. Go ahead and tell them. You can do it tactfully by having her say she’s very interested in attending ABC University and she’s received a flattering offer from another school and your family is considering her options.

It’s also perfectly acceptable to ask if the schools on the short list are ready to make or increase their offers. The worst they can say is no.

Dec 19, 2012
After receiving an offer, do you let other schools on your short list know that you have received an offer? And if the answer is yes, how in the world do you let them know?? Just seems impossible to do that with any tact. "Hi coach just an fyi that your conference rival made me an offer so unless you want to watch me hit homers all day for the other team I suggest you step up your game and make me an offer asap." I mean no matter how you phrase it, that's what it is going to sound like, right? Do travel ball coaches make these calls like some sort of realtor advising everyone to put their best offers on the table because a decsion is coming soon? I cannot imagine that that would be well received.

Have the schools on your short list shown any signs of interest? If so, what kind of interest? My dd eventually knocked her short list down to two schools. Both of these schools claimed they were "very" interested. School "A" would answer the phone and respond to texts and emails. School "B" never answered the phone and never replied to texts or emails. When my dd received an offer from School "A", my dd again tried contact School "B", stating that it would be the final time she would try to contact them since the interest appeared to fade away. Again, nothing from School "B". My dd accepted School "A's" offer. I was told School "B" wasn't thrilled that they were not given a chance to give an offer. Go figure..... Luckily, school "A" was dd's first choice anyway plus they gave her a fair offer.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If your DD receives a scholarship offer that is less than a "full ride", she will benefit from a little "competition" between schools vying for her services. It is a constant negotiation up until the time she commits, and there is a chance it can be renegotiated, for the good or bad, right up until she signs the NLI. I heard one major D1 cut a players offer in 1/2 after she had a bad senior season of school ball, so be aware the negotiations can go both directions!

Headfirst Honor Roll Camps are the premier events for high-school softball student-athletes trying to play at the next level.

Join us tonight, Tuesday, September 16 at 7:00pm ET for an online discussion hosted by Jen McLean (former Head Coach, Haverford College), Cara Savarese (former player, Georgetown U.) & John Bramlette (Director of Headfirst Honor Roll Camps).

All families who attend the webinar will be eligible to win a Headfirst shirt and matching wristbands.

We’ll spend five minutes detailing what makes Headfirst events unique and use the remaining time to answer your questions. It is free to participate, but you must register in advance, and attendance is limited to 100 callers.

To register for the webinar at no charge, simply follow the link below.

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/984061209

We hope you'll be able to join us for the webinar this evening.

Thanks,
The Headfirst Honor Roll Camps Team

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi