Reconciliation of the score book between innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Guess I'll show my age.............

This thread got me to thinking and I remember we had "official scorekeepers" at almost all our BB tournaments. They would either have someone in the press box keeping it or a table set up behind home. I even remember the umpires had to sign the book before they left the field. ( not sure why ) But that's been a few moons ago, and before they were TB teams every quarter mile like we have now.

Mar 31, 2013
Not a shot! Unless the game is nearing the run-rule point, I couldn't care less what the score is or who is keeping it. If I overhear two different scores, I WILL direct the teams to get the books together and figure it out. I continue with the game.

In any game where there hasn't been a scorekeeper, the direction is that the home book is official.

Wow.....amazing the different thoughts on this....so in a championship game......say the World Series....if the home bookkeeper is just wrong and fails to even consider the thought that they may be wrong...it DOESN'T matter? Come on I just don't get it. So no matter what, even in the most wrong of wrong....the home book goes. I think the umpire needs to play a role....I just don't get this train of thought. This lady was 1000 percent wrong....I had all the runs on video and she plain and simple said FU...I am right ..you are wrong and would not even entertain the thought of working it out. I don't deal we'll with people who have no sense of logic or reasoning. I call them DMF's..

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When there wasn't a scoreboard and I was the visiting score keeper, I took a small wipe off board with me. I sat it where we all could see it and I recorded the runs there.

I can't imagine not reconciling the books, when there is a question.

Jun 22, 2008
If you have a particular question the umpire can attempt to answer it, but personally I am not stopping the game to go into a long discussion about the score book. Yes, the other score keeper should be accepting of checking what they have against what you have. If they refuse and tell you to basically FO then its probably time to go speak to the tournament director.

Mar 31, 2013
If you have a particular question the umpire can attempt to answer it, but personally I am not stopping the game to go into a long discussion about the score book. Yes, the other score keeper should be accepting of checking what they have against what you have. If they refuse and tell you to basically FO then its probably time to go speak to the tournament director.

And that's exactly where we ended up and he just said without any notion to look at things go with the home book.....that's why I just don't understand the entire thing. I feel like there was a certain degree of fault on the umpire and UIC. Heck with that UIC one should just claim they scored 10 runs and hope they come back with home book takes precedent. Ok thanks folks...looks like we wore this one out. Thanks for your input! Cheaters don't always win was my message to the coaches, we beat them fair and square even with the no account home team score keeper!

Mar 2, 2013
Who's to say that the umpire's input would be valuable or accurate anyway? Sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong can lead to a protest since there is a specific rule dealing with it. That's the very reason the rule exists. Because there may not always be agreement and there must be finality. We're not dealing with hanging chads here.

It's not hard to reconcile how many runs scored. Number of batters - 3 outs (usually) - number left on base = runs scored.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321