receiving a throw at 1b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
Bunt down 1st base line. 1st baseman charges and fields the ball throws to 1b. 2nd baseman is covering 1b. Which foot should rh 2nd baseman have on the bag. In 10u we would have her keep left foot on bag stand square to the fielder throwing the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In that scenario, left foot - yup.

Personally, I don't like 1B crashing bunts. If it's on the 1B side, the P or C should be fielding the ball, depending on how far it rolls. If 1B is making the play, their momentum is moving completely in the opposite direction of where they need to throw which makes it a much more difficult play. The only time I'm okay with 1B making the play is if the bunt is far enough up the line for them to field the ball and tag the runner unassisted.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think so. It has to do with creating better throwing lanes from that angle and not getting crossed up with the runner as easily if the throw sails inside the line

Also for a 2B coming over it is much easier to find the bag with your lead left foot and keep a good eye on where the ball is coming from than rotate the back right foot behind back to the bag.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, it depends when the 2B gets to the base. If they are there in advance of the throw, they should use the same footwork as a 1B (i.e., be prepared to stretch w/ either foot). If they are on the run, then it will normally be the left foot. If its not going to be a close play, they should can catch the ball and THEN still have plenty of time to find the bag - no need to anchor unnecessarily.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
IMO, it depends when the 2B gets to the base. If they are there in advance of the throw, they should use the same footwork as a 1B (i.e., be prepared to stretch w/ either foot). If they are on the run, then it will normally be the left foot. If its not going to be a close play, they should can catch the ball and THEN still have plenty of time to find the bag - no need to anchor unnecessarily.
Good points GM. My assumption is the 2B has a lot farther to go than the 1B in most cases and in some cases may still be moving when receiving the the throw. Though the distances are shorter on SB diamond than BB diamond.

I also think blocking a potential low throw from that angle is generally easier with the left foot on the bag but I guess it depends on how skilled the 2B is as well.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In that scenario, left foot - yup.

Personally, I don't like 1B crashing bunts. If it's on the 1B side, the P or C should be fielding the ball, depending on how far it rolls. If 1B is making the play, their momentum is moving completely in the opposite direction of where they need to throw which makes it a much more difficult play. The only time I'm okay with 1B making the play is if the bunt is far enough up the line for them to field the ball and tag the runner unassisted.

If your personnel dictates leaving 1B at home, then you need to bring the 2B way in or else there's just too much ground for the P and C to cover and a good bunter will eat you up. I have visions similar to a soccer PK where the shot is right at the keeper in the center of the net, until they dive out of the way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If your personnel dictates leaving 1B at home, then you need to bring the 2B way in or else there's just too much ground for the P and C to cover and a good bunter will eat you up. I have visions similar to a soccer PK where the shot is right at the keeper in the center of the net, until they dive out of the way.

Let me qualify my previous statement by adding that I'm dealing with 10U girls. My tune may change as the abilities of the players and speed of the game increases as they get older.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Let me qualify my previous statement by adding that I'm dealing with 10U girls. My tune may change as the abilities of the players and speed of the game increases as they get older.

I didn't forget what age you were dealing with! I just think its better to develp your players and teach them the "right" way from the start even if it might come at the cost of errors or a W or 2 early in a season (but might also garner you more Ws later in the season). After all, that 1B will need to learn to make the charge, turn, good throw on a bunt play at some point if she intends to keep playing softball and delaying her learning to do that puts her at disadvantage v. her peers that took their lumps earlier.

ETA - My coaching philosophy was to instruct fundamentals that wouldn't have to be re-learned, but could be built on. In some cases the major achievement I helped them reach was to definitively know where second base was.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch