Rec League Question on Age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Yes let them play up if they have the skill. Make them attend the older tryouts. If they can cut it with the older girls, it will be evident. My middle DD grew quickly and could seriously hurt girls in the 10U division. She was throwing 53+ at 35 ft and was scaring half of the girls to death when she pitched. It was pitiful to watch the parents say "Suck it up" or "Shake it off" when she accidentally hit one of them. We moved her up so she could be with girls who could more likely handle her skill and so she wouldn't hurt someone.
When I coached rec I was blessed with several girls who should have been moved up for safety reasons (they threw so hard it hurt my hands!).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric- Southern CA is so much more competitive, I can see why your teams do better in tourneys. We have no stealing in 8U, only one base on anything in the infield unless there's an overthrow (8U),no drop third strike advance, and no taking home on any overthrow. For 10U, still no stealing of home and only one base on any overthrow, still no taking home on an overthrow, but stealing is ok for 2nd or 3rd. Winterball rules for 10u are more aligned with what you do. Wish we did it more like you did, games can get brutal for overmatched teams but it does teach valuable lessons.

At 10U (for us), catchers become a vitally important position for a team. With limitations on stealing and D3K, you can get away with a girl who catches the ball decently, but isn't particularly fast on her feet. In 10U, those weaknesses get exposed in a hurry. I'm a big believer in teaching these critical skills early in a players development.

Jan 23, 2014
I wouldn't make a hard rule about no playing up. A girl I have coached previously was still playing rec ball this summer. She is dedicated to pitching,practices all of the time. She was in her 2nd year of 10u this summer and they made her leave the mound because she was too good. Perhaps she meant she threw too hard, idk. That's not fair to her.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
At 10U (for us), catchers become a vitally important position for a team. With limitations on stealing and D3K, you can get away with a girl who catches the ball decently, but isn't particularly fast on her feet. In 10U, those weaknesses get exposed in a hurry. I'm a big believer in teaching these critical skills early in a players development.

We've gone to a modified version at 10U in our rec.

We have D3K but we also have no stealing home allowed.

Summer all-star coaches don't like it because girls aren't prepared for the 1st tournament full blown softball rules and first year rec parents don't like it because they think having D3K is too hard. Proving you can't please everyone but you can annoy everyone.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I agree completely. Our local rec leagues move a little slow for my taste. There is definitely a huge difference here between rec and travel ball.

Jun 24, 2013
We've gone to a modified version at 10U in our rec.

We have D3K but we also have no stealing home allowed.

Summer all-star coaches don't like it because girls aren't prepared for the 1st tournament full blown softball rules and first year rec parents don't like it because they think having D3K is too hard. Proving you can't please everyone but you can annoy everyone.

Why postpone the inevitable? If it is allowed in the 10U tourney, then it should be practiced all season. D3K needs to be taught so the C doesn't get complacent.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why postpone the inevitable? If it is allowed in the 10U tourney, then it should be practiced all season. D3K needs to be taught so the C doesn't get complacent.

Absolutely. In my experience, this is one of the biggest adjustments for kids moving from 8U to 10U in our league, not just for catchers, but also for batters.

Jun 24, 2013
DD really wanted to make her MS Team when she was in 6th grade. If she stuck with her 10U age group she would have played with no dropped 3K, stealing home and an 11’ ball. Making the Team was more important but she if she could pitch that would have been an added bonus so moving back to 40” in 12U was good for her too.

It is hard to get all the rules aligned right but it gave DD a leg up playing the same rules for a year before some of the players her age.

You could tell, both on her Team and the opposing Teams, the players that played before with certain rules. You also you could tell they would catchup they just needed a little time.

We only have 1 child so it is fairly easy to get her where she needs to be. If she had an older or younger sister I would try to get them on the same Team if they got along and capable of playing up.

The other side is that there might be too many players playing up in our club. It dilutes the previous age group having the players want to play up. Vicious circle with no good answer.

Glad I could help. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie