Rec ball and TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Your opinions please. While trying to get ready for HS ball next year are we holding DD back by having her play rec and TB instead of just TB?

Jun 24, 2013
It depends on your HS. For some if you show up you are on the Team, others you better be pretty good.

As a general rule I would say any rec ball develops bad habits and should be avoided if you have other choices and your DD wants to play college ball. You are better off playing rec then sitting around and not playing though if those are the choices.

Jul 3, 2013
Is she playing less TB in order to play rec? If not, I think the extra playing time would be beneficial.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
It depends on your HS. For some if you show up you are on the Team, others you better be pretty good.

As a general rule I would say any rec ball develops bad habits and should be avoided if you have other choices and your DD wants to play college ball. You are better off playing rec then sitting around and not playing though if those are the choices.

She has some good competition her age that will be trying out for the HS team when she does. And her mind and heart are set on playing college too.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Rec ball, while fun, doesn't usually employ the high level fundamentals that are found in TB. If your dd is serious about high school ball, you and her have to have a clear understanding of her good habits being sustained while playing rec ball, and to never play down to "lesser competition". A good goal for you is to remind her that every single time she steps on to a field, its imperative that she steps off that field a better player. Always strive for improvement in some aspect of her game. Start by really studying her opponents and how they approach different scenarios. They may be good or bad, but really watch and try to figure out what on each play could have been done differently on both sides of the ball, and then learn from it.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Is she playing less TB in order to play rec? If not, I think the extra playing time would be beneficial.

As it is now we don't play tournaments but about once a month to once every six weeks. Coach schedules tournaments according to one players availability. We are approaching rec season and the majority of the coaches focus will be one the rec teams/league because he is on the board for the park.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO he proper mechanics for fielding, hitting and throwing go a long way to giving a girl an edge in making a HS team. Ask yourself where she could learn these mechanics better at TB or Rec-ball, most of the time TB coaches are more informed on proper mechanics, although some Rec-ball coaches are good coaches.

Sometimes you can have all the tools and the coach maybe blessed with talent at the position you DD is wanting to play and may not need another player at that position. The more positions a girl goes out for the more chances she has to be chosen for the team.

Then sometimes politics rears its ugly head and no matter how good a kid is she does not have much of a chance.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
She has some good competition her age that will be trying out for the HS team when she does. And her mind and heart are set on playing college too.

Sounds like full time travel would be the best way to accomplish this if you and her are up for the schedule.

Dont you have Texas Force and Texas Glory and Texas Bombers, Fusion, and a gazillion other teams to try and play for. I know playing rec ball is not going to cut the cheese and if she is an 8th grader...it might even set her back.

Find a new team and go practice with them. Most teams welcome girls to their practices before tryouts.

I just saw on Glory's facebook page that they are having college coaches at their workouts today.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors