Reasons to leave & what to look for

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here are 10 off the top of my head -

- Previous team disbanded.
- Previous team doesn’t want you back.
- Previous team was not a good team. (Not just W-L record per se, but organization, communication, drama, etc.)
- You want a different level of competition (usually stronger). Also included here could be the desire to be with more like-minded (usually more committed) teammates.
- Your goals/personality doesn’t fit that of previous team (ie, too serious, not serious enough).
- You want more playing time at a particular position, especially pitcher, then catcher.
- You want more playing time, period. (This may or may not accompany a felling that the coach undervalues me.)
- Your previous team is inconvenient (too far away, too expensive, plays too much, not enough)
- You don’t like your teammates, don’t fit in, etc.
- You don’t like your coach.

One more - You just aren't having fun for whatever reason and need a change.

Last edited:

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
CoogansBluff pretty much covered it in a broad general way. More specifically 1. DD has not improved over the season. 2. Not having fun. 3. Coach has limited knowledge of basic skills and only seems to be involved to make sure his DD gets a lot of playing time. 4. Players and parents are cliquey. 5. Most important, uniforms are ugly and colors clash, no kidding , ask you DD. 1. Look for a coach with some history of success . 2. Coach should know basic skills and know how to communicate to players. 3. Practice should include time on individual position drills, not an hour of infield outfield and a half hour of whiffles and soft toss. 4. Doesn't mind interacting with parents, no softball god complex. 5. Ya, really cool unis. This is just a few of 100's GOOD LUCK !

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coogansbluff summed it up pretty well, but I also think the reasons change/evolve as a player gets older. The reason to change teams at 8U and 10U are not necessarily the same at 12U and 14U. 16U and 18U also add a different set of circumstances with recruiting. The level of ball you are playing is also a big determining factor is the decision making process.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
You've said in other threads that dds team only plays tournaments every 6 weeks...
That's enough for me to leave. I play at least two tourneys a month and if they're close enough, and we've got the money, I'll squeeze in a third. Plus the issues with dds pitching and the lack of corrective coaching to get her mechanically better...
Quit mulling over what you already know... You should have pulled out months ago.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
JAD is right about the recruiting. Forgot about that. I've known more than a couple of really good teams that split around second-year 14U and first-year 16U as some players wanted to pursue college opportunities and showcase while the others wanted to keep playing locally and just be good high school players.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
I know there's only one other on the team who wants to college ball. Is it an appropriate question to ask the coaches told the teams DD is trying out for? How many girls want to play hs and college ball? And if they say they don't know what does that say about the coach if anything?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Absolutely! Find out what the coaching philosophy is... if that coach is not preparing the girls for college, its probably not going to be a positive experience for the few remaining serious players on that team. Assuming there are any serious players to begin with. If you and your dd have serious goals of playing at the college level, then its imperative that she gets on the right path now. That path will include consistent coaching on, not only her game but her grades and personal conduct as well. And she needs to be surrounded by like minded team mates!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I know there's only one other on the team who wants to college ball. Is it an appropriate question to ask the coaches told the teams DD is trying out for? How many girls want to play hs and college ball? And if they say they don't know what does that say about the coach if anything?

What age?

IMO, it doesn't matter at 12U and 10U how many players are pursuing the goal of college softball, or whether the coach knows how many have that goal. Most kids that age don't really know what they want. Probably doesn't matter at 14U either. You want to be playing against good competition, and you want to be pushed by teammates and you want to be well-coached, but you don't have to be on a team designed strictly to produce college players at that point, IMO. For example, there's a lot to be said for playing on a pretty good local team where it's easier to get to practice than to travel 2 hours round trip twice a week to be with a 'college prep' 14U team. That's a lot of time spent in the car that could be spent working to further develop your hitting, fielding and/or pitching skills, not to mention speed/agility, if in fact you really want to play in college. You have to weight it.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

If your DD wants to play college ball and is 16U or 18U I would HIGHLY recommend getting her on a team of like minded parents and players who are willing to spend the time and money playing showcases and traveling more than an average TB team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1