Questions for D3 parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Something seems to have changed, especially at those high academic schools. The admissions offices seem much more fully in charge, and decisions are coming much later.

DD visited a very elite D3 school and met with the coach who had seen her play a couple of times and had phone conversations with. DD asked specifically if the coach had any pull with admissions if she had the Test scores and GPA for the school. The answer was no and even though she had a 33 ACT would she be taking it again to see if she could up her score?

DD has a number of D3s on her list. It wasn't until her this year (17' grad) that they started indicating they'd come look at her.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
About five years ago, my oldest DD "committed" to play at a very academically well known D3. She visited twice in the fall of her senior year, once with me where we met the coach, and once by herself in an overnight stay. School made their final decision and "offer" after watching her play in last exposure of the fall of her senior year. The coach definitely helped expedite her admissions, though DD had the grades and ACT (which got the school's attention in the first place). DD subsequently (in March) and somewhat surprisingly got into the academic school of her dreams (a place where she wouldn't be able to play softball) and changed her mind. It was tough, we felt she was going back on a promise but this was her life and she ended up telling the coach she wasn't coming. It was a tough decision but has turned out to be 100% the correct one.

This fall on our 18U team, we've had a number of girls looking at D3s, including high academic D3s. Something seems to have changed, especially at those high academic schools. The admissions offices seem much more fully in charge, and decisions are coming much later. Coaches are saying 'we'd love to have you, let us know when you hear from admissions." Not as much softball love until you officially get in the school.

The other thing we are seeing is the trend of D3 teams carrying huge rosters (20-plus) and even playing so-called JV games (this may not be new, but new to us). One of our D3 attendees from last year's team is going to such a school, they have 23 players on the team, she is a catcher and traveled this spring to Florida and Georgia with the team for spring ball as a freshman, played a few "varsity" games and started every JV game. She seems to be in a good situation and loving it. Other interesting fact on these big roster D3 teams is even though they carry a lot of girls, if your commitment slacks or you don't play summer ball to keep improving they WILL cut you, even if you've been a high level travel player in the past. Nothing's guaranteed even though it's "just D3."

In short, lots of opportunities at D3, but make sure it's not something your DD is doing not just because the opportunity is there but because she loves the school and really wants to continue playing softball when it's all about HER and her commitment and her life.

Thank you! DD's top choice right now only has 15 on the team and the coach said he doesn't like to carry more than 16 on the team. Her second choice has 12 now, but it's a new coach and the coach said he likes to have around 20. He will be recruiting a high number of girls over the next two years to get his roster number where he wants them. Another D3 that is further down her list has varsity and jv teams. I think that is the reason the school is not near the top.

I think her top school is a place she wants to be whether she plays softball or not.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
The downside to academic scholarships is a lot of schools are unable to give you a solid answer on an amount before her senior year, but they may be able to "project" based on current GPA and ACT/SAT.

That's definitely where we are. It will be March 2017 before we know the scholarship situation for sure.

Sep 28, 2015
One of the d3 schools my DD has been communicating with was at her game this weekend. Defensively she played very well. Offensively she didn't hit as well as she can. The whole team was flat - team is folding (well now officially folded), coaches and parents were at odds. - just a bad vibe weekend. But it's over and time to move on. My DD will play on a very good gold team (well very good for our area anyway !). My question is she wants to send the coach an email thanking her for coming - should she say anythin about her being being flat? The coach did approach her after the game and said they want her to do an overnight in sept What do you all think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Have her send a thank you...they know kids go O'fer sometimes and hopefully they are looking at the mechanics.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD will be playing DIII college softball this spring. DD didn't 'light in up' every time coach came to see her play. Twice coach attended games that DD never even knew he was there. DD always e-mailed to thank coach for attending games that she knew he was in attendance. Continue the path of communication good or bad games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1