Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Hey Quincy....She wants to play IF some. Like I mentioned, on her previous team she pitched 90% or more of the time. So, she wants to learn to play other positions. We have a stud at SS....coach's daughter at 3rd. But, we do have a hole at 2nd. We have 2 girls that play it that have no range at all. So, she thinks she can fix it. Probably got in her head when a Mom on the team (played college softball) asked her if she ever considered playing 2nd because we need someone with your athleticism there.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not a fan of 1st, DD’s favorite position.

I would be bothering the coach to past the point of annoying them if she is not getting IF practice. Take the stud out and kick her to the OF or be close enough to let them switch them out.

Nov 18, 2013
By “a hole” do you really mean the two girls playing 2B both suck? Won’t that create a hole in LF if your DD moves to 2B? It too bad the best athlete on the team can’t play two positions at once.

May 12, 2014
MN....the 2 girls that play 2nd don't suck. They are solid fielders....but, if they have to cover any ground....forget about it.

May 12, 2014
So, last night I asked DD what is her softball goals by her Sr yr of High School (she's currently 12). She said "I want to be committed to a D1 school as an OF. But, I want to be able to play 2nd or SS too. I think if I bust my butt I can pitch at D1...but, there's so many freaks in the world and only a few spots. So, OF or 2nd might be my best bet"

Nov 18, 2013
So, last night I asked DD what is her softball goals by her Sr yr of High School (she's currently 12). She said "I want to be committed to a D1 school as an OF. But, I want to be able to play 2nd or SS too. I think if I bust my butt I can pitch at D1...but, there's so many freaks in the world and only a few spots. So, OF or 2nd might be my best bet"

Most 12 yr olds are out of softball by the time they reach HS so it’s cool she has high aspirations. As she matures she’ll become more focused and be able to set a plan to make it happen. Good luck to your DD. I believe there's a spot in college softball for anyone that's willing to put in the work for it.

May 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback MnDad. Who knows if the kid will play D1. Honestly, I don't care if she plays college softball. I push her on academics. There's no pro contract waiting on her from softball. But, I love that she has goals and her drive

May 12, 2014
Ok, went to practice tonight. DD asked coach about trying 2nd again. Coach said we'll see after she gets her hitting and OF work in. So, DD gets done with those drills and asks HC if she can join the IF drills. He told her to get her pitching work in. Long story short....DD never got to try IF.

I just told her to focus on hitting, pitching, and OF. For whatever reason he doesn't want her there...funny thing is HC kept getting on 2nd for missing plays.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My suggestion would be to get your DD and one or two other girls (preferably girls who already know how to play MIF) and teach her the mechanics of playing MIF in a private practice setting. That way when her number is called she will be ready. Anyone can learn to field a ground ball and throw to 1B, but learning to play a solid MIF takes practice and softball "savvy"...she has to know where she is supposed to be on every play.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
It blows my mind how many posts I am seeing where a coach doesn't teach everyone at the younger age levels both infield and outfield positions. Coaching to win is important, but player development is equally important. At least coach/teach them the position in practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA