Question about the TCB balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

David Hayes

double nickel
Aug 13, 2012
Is it best to use them in soft toss or front toss, I have heard using the TCB ball in front toss can cause some really bad habits in a swing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 11, 2010
I love tcb's. Like any tool, use it in moderation, consider the ability and strength of the hitters. Don't overdo it and look for signs of fatigue and break down in form.

I think they are Part of the solution, not The solution.

Apr 9, 2012
As with any tool if you use the tool improperly you can create bad habits.

TCBs give instant feedback when hit. You have to teach the player to recognize the feedback. they also build strength/conditioning when hitting IF hit properly (extension).

If I had to choose one tool in all of softball Id keep my TCBs that I use at EVERY practice and before EVERY game.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
Probably the greatest benefit is that you don't have to chase after batted balls once they swing. Also, the path of ball and the distance it goes helps you see how well the batter is swinging.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We prefer to do soft toss with the TCB balls. Just remember to do them in moderation. We do 12 per girl, then rotate stations.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is actually the opposite. TCB balls help to establish good mechanics. They let the girls make their own corrections and find eventual success.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
These worked great with our high school team this year. I agree with Amy; the girls got immediate feedback and worked smarter on "centering up" the ball. It's one of the better gadgets we've used in the last 18 years.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is actually the opposite. TCB balls help to establish good mechanics. They let the girls make their own corrections and find eventual success.
How do TCB balls establish good mechanics? Players get immediate feedback on how squarely they hit the ball, and the extra weight forces the girls to follow through and strengthen their wrists, but mechanics?

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
How do TCB balls establish good mechanics? Players get immediate feedback on how squarely they hit the ball, and the extra weight forces the girls to follow through and strengthen their wrists, but mechanics?

The TCB balls don't establish good mechanics. Not putting words into Amy's mouth, but the mechanics (good or bad) are evident in the way the ball comes off the bat. The adjustments players make to correct their swings (and subsequently the path of the ball) "establish" good/better mechanics.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Next time you guys are out, hit some tcbs with all arms and hands aways from your body. Or how about keeping your weight back and spinning on your back foot. Let us know how far you hit the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd