Protecting the Wrists

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
While this may seem like a poorly made commercial for a wrist guard, the one thing I see catchers who genuinely block pitches in the dirt do is take hits to the arms. While we teach our catchers techniques to keep the elbows wide and reduce arm contact, the wrists tend to be vulnerable. Repetition and practice go a long way to minimize this type of contact, but a few pitches still take a weird bounce or the catcher is off slightly. In this video, the hit recorded on the wrist guard was incredibly loud, but our catcher felt no pain. This was her first time trying it out. We were actually working on block and throw drills when this impact occurred. So we made this short video...

[video=facebook;3663544559826]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3663544559826[/video]

The thing I found interesting was that the protecting portion is a pad that is packaged in an air tight foil pouch. Once the pouch is opening,your catcher slides it in the sleeve and positions it on their wrist. It hardens as it contacts air and conforms to the contour of the catchers wrist. As we say in this part of the country. It's a neat little gizzy!

-Chaz @ ACC

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that would be great for any fielder. Two blows to my DDs wrist (pitcher) resulted in a cyst, that required surgery. Now, if they would come up with an encasement for my fat thighs. That is where I get hit, when catching my students.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like it, but I have 100% confidence that my kid wouldn't wear it. It would be in the bottom of the bag with all of the xprotec batting gloves, catching glove, and elbow pad.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, I'm not saying that mine would have worn it. :) But, I do see a lot of blows to wrists. IF we start them young enough, though...

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Your catcher must see the need for this type of equipment before the purchase is made. If your catcher is tired of seam marks and bruises, they will be interested in the Evoshield. I did a follow up with this catcher at this past week's lesson and she liked the fit and function of her wrist guard.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I like it, but I have 100% confidence that my kid wouldn't wear it. It would be in the bottom of the bag with all of the xprotec batting gloves, catching glove, and elbow pad.

Bet I can up the odds on her wearing it....

I went to the bag to find...but it seems it's misplaced after first time. I was going to take you a picture...anyways, the team gave her a wrist thing that you can put a picture, to cover the plays. It has team logo on it, with number so it don't get switched.... I could stick a piece of one ( of the thousand flip flops we have, that I cut up when needed,) in it for when she catches....But I don't want her learn to block, she just SS's it.

I working on making sliding shorts, with flip flop inserts....or old mouse pads.... I recycle :{))

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Tired of them? She loves them!

My DD did too! (When I worked with her and threw pitches to block and hit her in the same spot twice, she sure would try and return the favor!)

But everyone is built differently and there just ain't a whole lot of meat to bruise at the wrists. For those that want to try it out, the Evoshield gets the job done. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
We found out the hard way that those seam marks can turn into a cyst, that puts you out of the game for 6 weeks and includes rehabbing the wrist. I wish my DD would have had one. She kept saying that her wrist hurt, but as a 2 sport athlete, there weren't too many times when something didn't hurt.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We found out the hard way that those seam marks can turn into a cyst, that puts you out of the game for 6 weeks and includes rehabbing the wrist. I wish my DD would have had one. She kept saying that her wrist hurt, but as a 2 sport athlete, there weren't too many times when something didn't hurt.

I can see that happening...the cyst. I think it is because the damage was in small threads so to speak. It didn't signal the inflammation needed to carry off the remnants of the damaged tissue, nor a skin break. So the deceased cells had to find their own way of escape. They were encapsulated to keep them from entering the blood, as the body seen it as not threatening enough to need the livers help, or the acid level is to high for the blood to take on the task. I would have had her jump on a mini trampoline, for 5 min (raising the white blood count by 200%) and directed the supercharged blood to the marks, by the use of an infrared bulb, until there was red splotches all around the (tattoo :{)) probably 30 minutes. just my ... IMHO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45