Problem coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
My DD is on HS team with a coach who has some odd philosophy's imo. My DD is not getting along with coach for a few reasons. Coach seems focused on negatives. I think my DD can work whatever friction she has with coach out on her own. She loves the assistants because they explain better/more than HC. But she has told me a cpl things that give me pause. And chatting with a cpl other players/parents, it seems like they are seeing/hearing same issues.

Warm ups are regularly getting cut short. Then long distance throwing is expected. Pitchers only getting thru part of normal warm up.
A few injuries have happened, but not sure if they are connected (or how much warmup has been shorted, it has been a cold spring for us). I have not been at practices to see first hand, and the coach is not popular with vets, so could be related?
The girls did sliding on gym floor with no padding mat.
The coach and assistant coach do infield and outfield drills from home plate at the same time. Infielders are working grounders and throws at same time the other coach is hitting flys to outfield who throw to infielder (seperate group from infielders). They do not take turns, so there are 2 live balls happening at same time, which seems very dangerous to me, miss hit, bad throw, etc.
HC seems to punish players who want to go to trainers after any injury/pain developing.

But last week out catcher was catching the pitching machine set at max (65ish) for batters. The catcher got a concussion from foul tip to face mask. She is out 10 days and counting. Is this common in practice? (catcher catching a machine). None of the batters were making contact til the tip.

There are a few other things, but these seem out of normal.

Am I just overly concerned? Or does this sound a bit out of the norm?

Oct 22, 2012
The HC gets very mixed reviews from parents and the players do not have much to say about the HC. My DD plays another sports with a very highly regarded coach that gets great reviews from both parents and players (so my reference is just the comparison (maybe unfairly) between the 2). We have lost a few multi year players over last cpl years, second handly told they were tired of HC.

The long distance issue was just having players go to it without warming up fully.

The offseason work is virtually non existent. The bit that happens have nobody show. Many of the girls play winter sport, so time is at a premium for workouts, but the few who do not play in winter do not come either. This year it was 2 freshmen and 2 soph that went to most of the workouts, which were just running and some light weight lifting. There was no softball until 3 weeks before season got underway. No hitting, and no pitching workouts. The was a clinic for 4 sat in fall ran by some team USA members.

The infield/outfield workouts are separately running at same time, and the coaches are on each side of the plate. I saw the end of that drill and one coach hit a grounder and when the players was throwing to 1st the other coach hit a fly to outfield. They stopped just after that, so wasnt sure if that was 1 badly timed drill, but DD told me that was how the whole drill ran and she was nervous about getting hit by a ball from other drill.

The weather had us inside for most of preseason and they did not use the machine at all. Never did understand that. Parents were told it was just a foul tip to catcher, but later found out it was from machine cranked up. Thats when I began to ask others more about what going on.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
We slide on the wood gym floors.

we work with two coaches at home plate.

One hits grounders, one uses pitching machine for fly balls( the best use for a machine), however the grounders are to one side of the field, the flys to the other, at no time is a fly ball shot out over the infileders.
We rotate sides.
Wrist flips are bad, most pain comes from this drill.
Pitching 3 times a week is good, chill after games.

Pitching machine balls(dimple balls or regular), with catcher, regular balls are ok, I might do that tonight, I never thought of it.
I guess even dimple balls, that might break in a new glove quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse