Preferred method of drag bunting for slapper

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
For a slapper - is there a preferred method or advantage between the following or it's just what's most comfortable:

1) Slide the left foot backward similar to when slapping before making crossover step and bunting

2) Go immediately with the crossover (left foot starts) into the bunt

I have seen in both ways even when watching the World Series. Any opinions?

Sep 3, 2009
For a slapper - is there a preferred method or advantage between the following or it's just what's most comfortable:

1) Slide the left foot backward similar to when slapping before making crossover step and bunting

2) Go immediately with the crossover (left foot starts) into the bunt

I have seen in both ways even when watching the World Series. Any opinions?

I honestly don't know what's "better", or if there is a "better". I'd say #1. At least that's what my DD does. My opinion is that the drag should be a surprise just like a regular bunt. If you setup like a slap, The D is looking at the position in the box, and maybe the hands, and will play accordingly. If played well, it's a total surprise. Especially if they slapped their first at bat, or is known to the other team as a slapper.

If you can find some youtube video, search for Rhea Taylor. She was a master at it.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
The most important goal in drag bunting is distance control with the goal being about 10 feet. Less than optimal deception may cost a slapper about 1 step but bunting 20-30 feet will cost several steps.

In my experience, it is helpful to at least pivot the right foot open somewhat to help open the shoulders to get the bat out front of the body quickly at the start of crossover so there is less chance to push the bat into contact and more chance to "catch" the ball at the very end of the bat. Pivot also improves ready to sprint position.

So I would say whatever is comfortable to achieve consistent 10 foot bunts and work to improve deception after that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207