Practice / Drill ideas for a short handed practice (16u)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2023
For our next couple outdoor practices, we will be extremely short on girls (3 to 5 total coming) due to other obligations. Our indoor practices, I am able to set up our hitting stations and make it work fine, but does anyone have any tips/drills for outdoor work with such a small group?
Thanks

May 17, 2012
By 16u your practices should be tailored to the specific players on your team AND any team-specific concepts (bunting or leadoffs for example).

Your focus should be on improving the players as individuals so I would tailor my practice for the players that are coming to practice and their current deficiencies.

Example practice plan:

• Dynamic team warmup
  • Specific team-related concepts/philosophies
  • Individual homework
  • Team bonding drill/game.
By getting together as a team you want to be doing things they can't do on their own or you want it done a specific way (team way).

Getting a group of 10 players together for practice and then finding drills for 10 players is going about it the wrong way. Your practice plan shouldn't change a whole lot if you have 5 or 13.

Not what you were asking but it's what came to my mind...

Aug 4, 2023
By 16u your practices should be tailored to the specific players on your team AND any team-specific concepts (bunting or leadoffs for example).

Your focus should be on improving the players as individuals so I would tailor my practice for the players that are coming to practice and their current deficiencies.

Example practice plan:

• Dynamic team warmup
  • Specific team-related concepts/philosophies
  • Individual homework
  • Team bonding drill/game.
By getting together as a team you want to be doing things they can't do on their own or you want it done a specific way (team way).

Getting a group of 10 players together for practice and then finding drills for 10 players is going about it the wrong way. Your practice plan shouldn't change a whole lot if you have 5 or 13.

Not what you were asking but it's what came to my mind...
I appreciate it.
Short backstory, I'm new to the fastpitch world. Coached baseball for 6 years, and this year was asked to "help" with my step-daughters 16u team. Due to differences in coaching philosophies, I feel like I haven't really been involved with the practices (other than catching a ball here and there), and I also feel that our team is deeply lacking in fielding fundamentals / softball knowledge. As a baseball coach, we put a huge emphasis on defense, and this coach puts zero emphasis on defense, preferring to "hit 90% of all practice time", and tells the girls that he doesn't care about errors, that if we can't hit we can't compete, which I disagree with to a point. He is now finished with the team (fall season only, which is a big difference from baseball also), and I am wanting to keep the team in tact for winter-spring practices and tournaments, to avoid a 6 month layoff before high school tryouts come around. Just trying to come up with some more "softball specific" type drills to catch them up to where I feel they need to be defensively.

May 17, 2012
I appreciate it.
Short backstory, I'm new to the fastpitch world. Coached baseball for 6 years, and this year was asked to "help" with my step-daughters 16u team. Due to differences in coaching philosophies, I feel like I haven't really been involved with the practices (other than catching a ball here and there), and I also feel that our team is deeply lacking in fielding fundamentals / softball knowledge. As a baseball coach, we put a huge emphasis on defense, and this coach puts zero emphasis on defense, preferring to "hit 90% of all practice time", and tells the girls that he doesn't care about errors, that if we can't hit we can't compete, which I disagree with to a point. He is now finished with the team (fall season only, which is a big difference from baseball also), and I am wanting to keep the team in tact for winter-spring practices and tournaments, to avoid a 6 month layoff before high school tryouts come around. Just trying to come up with some more "softball specific" type drills to catch them up to where I feel they need to be defensively.

You need a team defensive (footwork) philosophy. I would go to the link below and learn everything I could. Use these drills and his philosophy. You will never look at defensive footwork the same!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi