Pocket Radar vs. Jugs Pitch Speed Measurement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
I was helping judge some pitching tryouts yesterday and I couldn't help pull out my Pocket Radar and compare it against the Jugs gun that was "officially" being used. I noticed that Jugs, with a few exceptions, consistently reported the pitch speed to be about 2 mph faster than my Pocket Radar. Has anyone else noticed this?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Could be the setting on Jugs. You have 2 options. They probably had it set for pitch out of hand, not the total travel. I found the Jugs to be about 2-3mph faster than the correct video speed. JMHO :cool:

Apr 28, 2014
A bit off topic but if anyone is interested in a lesser expensive radar I have had great success with GloveRadar.
It's runs about $70 and I have tested it versus Jugs and it's very close.

Oct 9, 2013
RetiredCoach which Pocket Radar model - Coach or Classic? I am asking because I have the coach model and I have always suspected it to be a few mph slower than the jugs.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
For what it is worth..... I checked the calibration of my classic pocket radar against tuning forks used to test police radars. The pocket radar was right on with the speed of the forks.....

Jun 7, 2013
RetiredCoach which Pocket Radar model - Coach or Classic? I am asking because I have the coach model and I have always suspected it to be a few mph slower than the jugs.

Hi ddtimes4,

I have the coach model. I guess that I'm going to have to buy a used car now because I sort of promised my DDs that if the older one threw 55 mph and the younger one threw 50 mph that I'd go get one. This disparity was the difference!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have the classic pocket radar, and it is consistantly approx 2-3 mph slower than other guns. So I just add 2mph to what ever it reads.... Does anyone know if the tuning fork calibration method is applicable on the classic....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Speed reading are something pitchers parents use to brag about their DD....the key to measuring improvement or judging tryouts is to be consistent with whatever device you are using. If I was going to tryout pitchers I would use a RevFire. It will give you spin rates as well as speed. Sure the speed is an "average" since it is a time measurement vs. radar, but as long as all pitchers are judged using it, the one with the highest speed is throwing the fastest. Remember, speed is not everything....I constantly tell my DD that I would trade 5 MPH for 5 RPM on some of her movement pitches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207