Playing 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My least favorite position on field, DD always wore a face mask there.

3rd base can be a real force on the field in SB. How much up she plays towards the batter and SS depends on her ability. I have disagreed with coaches that DD had to hug the line. Depending on game situation she will need to change her starting position.

She will also have a few awkward throws. Throwing with her running towards home and throwing across with her body going a different way.

Jul 11, 2023
I know it's baseball but I was a fan of some of the simplicity of what is discussed in the video.

Watching the hitting zone, not the pitch.
Attacking the ball.
Pointing the shoulder and letting the ball rip on the throw.

You're in pretty tight so I haven't seen a ton of lateral movement at 3B. You might get a step, maybe two. Work your picks and backhands.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD has always been a corners kid. Travel ball she's at 3B. School ball she is at 1B (lately was used at 2B). She's a gun slinger and not afraid to throw the ball.

1. Fielding Fielding Fielding. Spend time working on her timing. Slow hits, hard hits, short hops, long hops. Timing, rhythm and good footwork are everything at 3B.

2. Work on proper throwing from 3B to all bases. But mostly to 1B and Home. Errant throws from 3B are a killer. Players tend to rush the throw due to poor footwork/fielding. (See #1). Get her comfortable throwing from uncomfortable positions.

3. Bunt coverage. Get her passionate about defending bunts. This is one of DD's favorite things, playing the game within the game.

Nov 18, 2015
  1. Wear a mask. Always.
  2. Per the Rolen comments (MLB Tonight video) - focus on the contact point (front of the plate) - you won't be able to watch the pitch and then try to watch the swing.
  3. Also along the lines of what Rolen talked about - and while I think Chapman starts with his glove all the way down - to me it makes more sense how Rolen shows it (glove around knee height) for 2 reasons:
    • Like he mentioned - if you do need to move, you won't have to wait for your body to re-adjust from being too low to move.
      • Antonelli mentions this in one of his videos about IF play - the chances of a ball being hit right at you, requiring no movement, is fairly slim. So why lock yourself into such a rigid position (glove down, arm extended), when it's more likely you'll be moving a step or two (lateral or in) to get to the ball?
    • Protects your face - mask or no mask, having the glove start at your knees means it's 1/4 of the way there already
  4. Throw on the run - as a dad, this was another area where you just assume a player can do this (similar to self-hit), b/c you can't remember ever not being able to do it yourself. But for girls especially, it's a learned skill. Not impossible by any means, but definitely should be taught as part of a progression for throwing at different arm angles. (This could probably be a whole thread in itself!)
    • For a progression - start in a kickstand position - throwing knee down, glove leg extended out sideways, and get comfortable throwing across your body. This will be needed when you attempt to get the lead runner at 2B on a hard ground ball to 3B.
    • Move to standing, start with the ball in hand, and work on throwing off one leg, sidearm (so your chest will be down, and glove leg extended behind you - again throwing across the body)
    • Now move to ball in glove, glove on ground, and progress from taking a step or two to now getting the ball out of the glove and released within two steps.
  5. Cut off the SS when you can - if you can reach it, field it - it will be a shorter throw for you (vs. the SS), and you're already heading in the right direction (towards 1st, vs. SS whose moving in, then has to throw to the left).
  6. Don't retreat to the bag to wait for a pick-off throw from the C with a runner on 3B - follow her a few steps down the line, otherwise as soon as the C throws it, the runner will break for home, and you'll quickly discover how long it takes for the ball to get all the way to 3B, and then back to Home. Cheating up the line cuts down the distance.
  7. Watch the Bobby Dickerson video (Oriole's IF coach) and how he works with a young 3B on how to properly tag out a runner.
  8. Also mentioned above - be aggressive to the point of being fearless, b/c there's some coaches out there that will play 3B waaayyyy in close anytime there's a bunt situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles